Getting up to speed "pro se"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting up to speed "pro se"

My idiot of a lawyer backed out after I got upset at him for ignoring me and yelled over the phone. He actually petitioned the court to let him "resign."

Now I'm running my own show. There isn't much going on, but can anybody point me to resources or information to prepare me in case something does come up?

Many thanks in advance and sorry if there is another thread on this--but I didn't see it.

From your earlier posts it seems you are less than 1 year away from being done. I would sign up for PACER (if you haven't already done so) in order to keep on top of filings as they happen. Also, you may want to go to your local bk courts website (or in person) to find information on what happens during the discharge /closing process in your district so you can see the timelines and such. Good luck to you.
    Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
    I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

I would post questions in the Pro Se area of BKForum. That is where we pro se debtors hang out and help one another.

Shutting down a Chapter 13 is an intricate process and you really need to start preparing to spin it down. There are many things that do not happen automatically, and that includes the cessation of wage deductions and an actual discharge!
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks for the tip about PACER. I didn't know about it. I have a little more time than 1 year... my last payment is July 2012 or thereabouts.

Does anyody know how much it'll cost me to hire a lawyer to represent me for the dischage. It should be simple--there are no payroll deductions, just a monthly ACH payment.

Comment

Many attorney won't jump in last minute. You may be able to pay one at the hourly rate ($150-$250/hour) to help you spin it down.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Don't forget to do your post-petition financial management class, if you haven't already. Good job on getting through your CH 13, I'd be really upset if I had to do the paperwork at the end without the lawyer.
            Filed CH 13 September 17, 2007
            Plan Modified July 8, 2009 from $1100/month to $400/month due to change in income, finally discharged in July of 2013!

Comment

I completed a financial management class online when I filed. It was required to proceed any further. Is there another one?

Comment

Originally posted by larry13 View Post
                I completed a financial management class online when I filed. It was required to proceed any further. Is there another one?
                Yes.....its the final course you must take in order to receive your discharge; if you dont do it (takes about 2 hours) then your 13 will be for nothing. Make sure you mail a copy to your trustee (get tracking on it) as well as keep a copy on file (hardcopy) & on your computer so you can prove you did it. We did ours & received our copy here, however our lawyer never received his copy even though we put his email addy in.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X