What is a base balance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is a base balance?

Hello. After thinking that I would be done with this plan next October - I found out today that I have a base balance of $8700 that I still have to pay. What is that? My attorney's assistant advised me to discuss it with my trustee. I have been staying under the radar for over three years now and really didn't want to contact her right now. Has anyone had to deal with this? Thank you.

If the "her" in question has initials of njw, then there really is no reason not to contact the office and have them explain it to you, although I would think that is your attorney's job. I had many dealings with my trustee through the course of my Ch13, and her office was never anything but helpful, courteous, and professional.

John
    Filed Chapter 13 pro se: 9/30/2008, 341 Meeting: 11/15/2008, Plan Approved: 1/6/2009, 100% of all claims paid: 10/19/2010. Trustee closed case: 11/5/10 DISCHARGED: 11/18/10

Comment

You should not have to contact the trustee. That's your attorney's job. Talk to your attorney instead of the assistant.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by arlington View Post
        Hello. After thinking that I would be done with this plan next October - I found out today that I have a base balance of $8700 that I still have to pay. What is that? My attorney's assistant advised me to discuss it with my trustee. I have been staying under the radar for over three years now and really didn't want to contact her right now. Has anyone had to deal with this? Thank you.
        Call your attorneys office and request a meeting with your attorney. I would be outraged to have an assistant tell me to talk to the trustee. Unless your attorney no longer represents you it is his/her place to talk to your trustee, not you. Bypass this assistant altogether and sit down with your attorney about this.

Looks like the pretty LadyinRed were typing our replies at the same time :=)
        Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
        I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

Hello,

I'm new here but have been watching this forum for a year or so. I'm am very confused after visiting my attorney's office yesterday regarding my Ch. 13. I've been in a 36 month plan with a payment of $1,100 a month since 08, so I assumed that we are almost complete. I'm having a hard time understanding the status of claim report sent from my trustee. My base plan was $39,600 in the beginning, now my base balance is showing $1100. I have two secured debts showing a balance due on the report, one for $8,474 and one for $6,125. Those secure debts are my cars at 100% payback. My attorney's office tells me first that I am almost done, but then says "wait" your still paying off the cars. Wow, what a let down after 3yrs of no missed payments paid directly to the trustee. How can I go from a base balance of $39,600 to a base balance of $1,100 and still have an over $14,000 balance owed? We have been very discipline throughout this whole process and changed our lifestyle completely for the better, however, this is very discouraging two hear. I'm I reading this report right?

Thanks

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X