top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you allowed to get a secured credit card during a chapter 13?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you allowed to get a secured credit card during a chapter 13?

We are in the middle of a chapter 13 bankruptcy (1 year in) and are wondering if you are allowed to get a secured credit card?
    We are NOT looking to rack up debt - we'd like to be able to rent a car & things like that. I have read the posts on here about the car companies that will take a debit card but when I called them (hertz, budget/avis & enterprise) they said yes but they all said they run a credit check- being in a 13 i seriuosly doubt we'd pass one.
    So- anyone in a 13 get a secured card and is it allowed?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

A secured card doesn't put you in more debt because you have to put up the money yourself first to guarantee the card. Run it by your lawyer just to make sure it's ok in your local court, but it's not likely to be an issue.
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

I have been able to rent from Avis just fine with my debit card, but they do put a $200 hold on your account--just a warning as it makes funds unavailable!
      Chapter 13 Filed: 2/7/07 Confirmed: 5/1/07 Discharged: 3/2/2012 Closed: 6/2/2012
      130 out of 130 bi-weekly payments DONE
      100% Completed

Comment

Thanks momof3- I called them the other night & they said they put a $200 hold plus you have to pass an equifax credit report. I looked on their website to see what the qualifications were & it said each office has different policies regarding debit cards & to contact your local branch for specifics. I guess I'm just out of luck.

My car is 10 years old & okay right now- I wanted to take my son on a small weekend vacation- just 2 nights only a few hours away but I don't want to push my car because I need it to last the next 4 years of our chapter 13.

Comment

I have rented with Enterprise and a debit card, but they do put a hold on, no credit check. it was a local office and one that I had used in the past, not sure if that matters.
          Discharged 5/2015

Comment

You might be surprised at what a passing credit score is at these places. I work for a large cable company and we might make people pay an extra deposit, but we never DENY service (unless they owe us money). I have always paid online for rental cars and have never had an issue. Always Avis, but several different airports.
            Chapter 13 Filed: 2/7/07 Confirmed: 5/1/07 Discharged: 3/2/2012 Closed: 6/2/2012
            130 out of 130 bi-weekly payments DONE
            100% Completed

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X