top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't stand people that don't understand personal bankruptcy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't stand people that don't understand personal bankruptcy...

you all know the type, they never have had too much bad luck (like buying a home that lost about 75 percent value in less than 2 years, never lost a job due to downsizing, no health problems, etc)...

well, when they hear of others filing for BK, they just go up in arms about how they (with their great work ethic and intelligence would never be in a position to file for personal bankruptcy) have to foot the bill for us "losers" that have to file for BK due to "life".

I just have to vent on this because I have been downsized 3 times in 10 years, despite being a dam good employee, and I lost about 75% of the value of my home, and to hear from "friends" that filing BK is bad, well, it frigging annoying...

But, when corporations do it, its ok, right?

I had a good friend, who is very intelligent and who I respect, say that there is a big difference between a personal bankruptcy and a corporate bankruptcy. And he was on the side that the personal BK is much worse! This guy is just out of touch with reality, as we see all the breaks our wonderful government gives these corporations (tax breaks), yet some major corporations have still filed.

And, don't forget the flipping bailouts that these corporations got from our tax dollars, its absolutely amazing and annoying has heck that people are that supportive of these companies that could care less about their employees and could care less about integrity.

I am so glad that there are intelligent people on this site that post and share their experiences, because you all validate my thoughts that I am NOT a "loser" because "life" happened to me...

Now I am a strong believer that you make your own luck in life...

but when "life" happens, you have to make adjustments, and I want to encourage all you "pull yourself by the boot straps" types, that when "life" happens, you either make the necessary adjustments and learn, or you are going to get buried with your "fuzzy" thinking...not only short term but long term, when your creditors are going to be up your butt looking for their money.

And another thing to consider is that the laws are changing to back up creditors (student loans not dischargeable for example), so do it now when you can (especially more so if you qualify for a chapter 7).

In short, if you have to file, then file. Do what is best for YOU, and F everybody else that LIES to you about the truth about BK. The truth is, is that BK is a powerful tool to get your life back on track, and don't ever forget that!

Sorry for the rant, but I am fed up with these type of people that have had all these breaks in life, and don't even know it.
    Last edited by espo1357; 06-07-2011, 02:30 AM.

I work with one such type that thinks bankruptcy is the easy way out for people that can't "manage" their money. He says he is tired of supporting the "losers" that file through hgher interest rates, higher prices, etc. He is triple dipping. (i.e. collects a full pension ffrom his last job, works full time now and collects social security). Never had any kids and has NO bills. He says he can't understand how anyone could let themselves get into the situation where they would have to file bk. Those people are stupid he says. You know the type. Never happy and always complaining. I cringe when I have to deal with this individual in the work place.
    Filed July 2009. Discharged 08/08/2014. Awaiting closing. We made it !!!! Woo-hoo!

Comment

Thanks for the post espo13357. I couldn't agree with you more, the BK laws are in place for a reason and some people just don't get it.
      Chapter 7 Filed: 04/21/2011, 341 Meeting: 05/31/2011, Report of No Distrubution: 06/02/2011, Discharged: 08/03/2011, Closed: 08/10/11

Comment

Exactly - these are the people who think everyone in life has "choices" and everything that happens to us is due to these "choices." Many folks don't really have "choices" - oh sure, don't get laid off right? This is simply a result of self-loathing, and it simply makes them feel better to hate those who are "worse" off then they are...frankly, a sign of a sociopathological personality.

Comment

Just never forget that Karma is always lurking around the corner. And, she can be a real interesting lady.
          All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
          Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

I agree. Hold your head up high. You have not done anything wrong. But, I agree I have never mentioned my bankruptcy to friends or family. I think it is like walking around with a scarlet letter on your chest if you tell the world. Best wishes.

Comment

Originally posted by bling32 View Post
              I agree. Hold your head up high. You have not done anything wrong. But, I agree I have never mentioned my bankruptcy to friends or family. I think it is like walking around with a scarlet letter on your chest if you tell the world. Best wishes.
              BLING perfectly said, perfectly said.

Unfortunately, I don't see our numbers getting smaller....

Comment

One of those "holier than thou" people used to be in my life a couple of years ago. She worked as a bookkeeper for a couple of places. She was full of all kinds of advice, "You should take out a home equity loan to pay off your credit cards. Do whatever you can to preserve your 'good name' , etc."

Luckily I didn't listen. Then she found out from a family member that I filed BK and no longer speaks to me. What a small loss. disconapper, you are so right, some people just don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by lillymarlene View Post
                  One of those "holier than thou" people used to be in my life a couple of years ago. She worked as a bookkeeper for a couple of places. She was full of all kinds of advice, "You should take out a home equity loan to pay off your credit cards. Do whatever you can to preserve your 'good name' , etc."

Luckily I didn't listen. Then she found out from a family member that I filed BK and no longer speaks to me. What a small loss. disconapper, you are so right, some people just don't get it.
                  What a loser this woman must be, living in her own little world.

You didn't lose anyone good in your life here lily, just a moron that doesn't get it.

As for those of us in chapter 13, when we all get those discharge papers, we have actually accomplished something, because most people could not endure the stress and obligations that a chapter 13 requires.

And we will suceed, and hold our heads up high regardless of what the idiots in this fallen world will say.

Comment

It is a shame that people tend to be so unsympathetic about things they've never experienced. Self-righteousness abounds. I especially like Bling's scarlet letter analogy.

I have a friend who is young, still in her mid-twenties, who has been thrifty with her money and is quite ambitious in her earning potential. I casually mentioned my BK one evening and she was shocked - absolutely floored - that I was a) filing, and b) handling it so well. She acted as though I'd just been diagnosed with cancer or something. I laughingly told her there are worse things than bankruptcy, and with all seriousness, she said, 'What is worse than bankruptcy??'

Instead of getting angry, I considered the context from which she spoke, realizing her naivety. She is young and relatively inexperienced in life. She hasn't had many of the kicks and punches life can inflict, and sometimes when you're weakest. She and her husband have no children, they both have well-paying jobs, and she has wealthy parents with a good relationship toward her. She hasn't had 1/4 of the experiences I have - and this isn't her fault. Her ignorance, and her blessings, are evident in what she says, as is probably with most anyone who judges us. In general, we do the best we can. They are blessed to have not been in the same situations we've found ourselves, the sad part is that they don't realize it. If they are ever sitting where we are, or have, they will feel much different.
                    Filed Chapter 7 on 2/22/11, 341 meeting held 3/30/11, relief of stay on foreclosure 4/12/11, relief of stay on auto 5/17/11, Discharge on 6/6/11!

Comment

Clabbergirl you hit this on the head: a) ignorance, and b) wealth - she comes from wealth, into wealth - simply does not understand the real world of real people.

Originally posted by Clabbergirl View Post
                      It is a shame that people tend to be so unsympathetic about things they've never experienced. Self-righteousness abounds. I especially like Bling's scarlet letter analogy.

I have a friend who is young, still in her mid-twenties, who has been thrifty with her money and is quite ambitious in her earning potential. I casually mentioned my BK one evening and she was shocked - absolutely floored - that I was a) filing, and b) handling it so well. She acted as though I'd just been diagnosed with cancer or something. I laughingly told her there are worse things than bankruptcy, and with all seriousness, she said, 'What is worse than bankruptcy??'

Instead of getting angry, I considered the context from which she spoke, realizing her naivety. She is young and relatively inexperienced in life. She hasn't had many of the kicks and punches life can inflict, and sometimes when you're weakest. She and her husband have no children, they both have well-paying jobs, and she has wealthy parents with a good relationship toward her. She hasn't had 1/4 of the experiences I have - and this isn't her fault. Her ignorance, and her blessings, are evident in what she says, as is probably with most anyone who judges us. In general, we do the best we can. They are blessed to have not been in the same situations we've found ourselves, the sad part is that they don't realize it. If they are ever sitting where we are, or have, they will feel much different.

Comment

Originally posted by Clabbergirl View Post

she reminds me of a friend that I once joked with, telling her that "its your world Sara, and we are all just living in it"...boy, was Sara pissed off about that joke (because I was telling her the truth), because Sara was just was living a life with very little adversity, and couldn't grasp certain ideas that mature people could, imo.

these people living in their bubbles remind me of college kids that go to school to study teaching, because both of their parents were teachers...

well, when these college kids get their teaching degrees and hit the classroom at the ripe age of 22, they are ready to do what they have been groomed to do, teach. And they are generally very good at it by their school districts standards...the model teacher with their "good boy" stickers, and other "tricks" to get the students to do their work. Very effective at what they do, but very limited outside of that teaching environment.

In other words, these teachers couldn't possibly do another job with any effectiveness. They would be lost. They would be outside their little bubble that mommy and daddy and college had created for them.

these "types" tend to be the most unbalanced individuals that one would ever want to meet (my brother is a teacher and he confirms this truth) and are boring as heck. Worse, these youngsters go through life with the same mindset, year after year. And even at the age 88, they still haven't considered the world outside of teaching!

Back to the BK talk...I truly believe that filing for BK was one of the most responsible decisions that I have ever made! Only those of us that have filed, can probably fully understand this. The more I analyze my situation, the more I am convinced of this truth.

And for the "teachers" in this show (the "teachers" could be the financial advisors that say "never file" or it could be the guy with no adversity making good salary year after year, with total job stability, or the man born into massive wealth), you can all kiss my ass.
                        Last edited by espo1357; 06-08-2011, 08:50 AM.

Comment

I like teachers though :-)

Comment

Life happens. I meet with many people that are reduced to tears by the time they get to my office, it is a hard decision to make for many because of the stigma associated with it.

Many of the ignorant people you mention above really have no idea what bankruptcy actually is and means, the media does nothing to help this.
                            Any information posted by me is for general informational purposes only. While I am an attorney, I am not YOUR attorney and any information I provide is not legal advice.

Comment

Can you imagine the horror if people actually knew what bankruptcy was? They'd have to change the law to make it even tougher, or bring back debtors prisons, or have DOE swat teams raiding houses at 6am, oh wait, they've done that last one :-)
                              filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X