My credit card was never closed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My credit card was never closed?

Weird but my Kohl's card wasn't closed. There was no balance when I filed but all my other cards closed immediately balance or not.

It's funny, I don't really need or want credit cards anymore but I so want to use the 20% off coupon to buy the dress pants for work that I was going to buy anyway. The credit card is required though.... decisions.

Had that happen after I filed. 2 of my cards(0 bal) did not close
    Ch 7 filed 8/15/11 341 9/22/11 Discharge 11/28/11
    The rebuilding begins

Comment

I don't believe you're allowed to use credit while in a 13. I'm sure one of the resident experts will be along to confirm or refute my opinion shortly, so wait for them. :o)

Comment

Your card may or may get closed within the next week or even the next few years. Usually, once the lender gets wind that you filed BK, that lender/creditor will close out the account although sometimes it may stay open for a while or yet never get closed out. I had a Dress Barn account with zero balance when we filed and it stayed open for over six years with being used now and then and paid off immediately but it was eventually closed due to "BK filing on credit reports." Remember, a creditor can close your account at any time for any reason so don't be surprised if it eventually gets closed out and you don't find out until you go to the counter to purchase something.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

I would use the card for the discount and then have them post the payment to the account immediately--you ARE allowed to do that at Kohls. That way you're not taking on debt. ;)
          Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
          0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

I am doing just that -- I used the card, tried on everything at home and have a check written out to drop off tomorrow! 20% off rocks!

Comment

My Bloomies, Macy's and Nordstrom cards did not close either.... i have been using for the discounts and paying off in full.
              My Nieman Marcus and Saks cards closed within in weeks of filing....

just a note...... but do be careful spending on the cards as it could take one emergency for the whole house of cards to collapse!
              Filed 7/17/10 1st 341 8/17/10 2nd 341 9/16/10 1st confirmation 10/06/10 2nd confirmation 11/10/10 Bar Date 11/15/10 3rd and final confirmation hearing Dec 8 and acceptance of plan Dec 29 2010....

Comment

My Amazon card didn't close either and it's been 8 months since discharge.
                Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

Comment

I can't imagine ever using a credit card again for the rest of my life, even for 20% off.
                  4/29/2011 - Filed Chapter 13, have to pay a massive payment each month!
                  6/16/2011 - 341 meeting
                  7/21/2011 - Confirmed!

Comment

It's so funny, I have been working so hard on improving my attitudes toward credit. I've learned that credit is not the problem, it was me and how I used it. The card is not my enemy.

After the original post, I got a 30% off coupon in the mail, went shopping and decided I didn't really need anything. Even at 30% off and cash in the bank to pay off the card. It's a very different outlook for me.

Comment

Originally posted by ChescoChris View Post
                      It's so funny, I have been working so hard on improving my attitudes toward credit. I've learned that credit is not the problem, it was me and how I used it. The card is not my enemy.

After the original post, I got a 30% off coupon in the mail, went shopping and decided I didn't really need anything. Even at 30% off and cash in the bank to pay off the card. It's a very different outlook for me.
                      Excellent post....the 30% offers and buy one get one free offers, etc. etc. are ploys to get one into the store (or better yet, on line) in the hopes one will purchase more and/or non-needed "on sale" items.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X