top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens to wife's credit report if I file solo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens to wife's credit report if I file solo?

This will be a dumb question after too many hours awake...

I am planning a C-13 filing for myself. My wife is not filing. She and I only have secured debts in common (mortgage and cars.) The local trustee requires the auto loans to be paid within the plan, no matter who drives the car and makes the payment now. The mortgage is to be paid outside the plan. The mortgage and auto payments are current.

Once the trustee takes over making the auto payments out of my payment to him, how will this affect my wife's credit report?

Thanks!

If your wife doesn't file, then her credit report should not be impacted at all.

Sometimes mistakes are made, especially for co-signed debt that you included when you filed, so be sure she watches her credit report closely for a few months after you file. If something does show up on her report that is related to your bankruptcy, she needs to immediately dispute it *in writing* and send the letter to the credit agency using registered mail/returned receipt to create a paper trail. The credit agency has 30 days to correct the mistake.
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

The tradelines for car and home will probably read "Included in A bankruptcy"
      This may knock them from positive to unrated status, but otherwise shouldn't hurt her.
      She is the beneficiary of the co-debtor stay in a 13, that maybe explains it a little.
      If you default she's on the hook but they cannot collect without a motion for relief from stay in the BK court.
      filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

Thanks, everybody!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X