Filing Mid September - Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filing Mid September - Question

Heres our situation - we are 2 mortgage payments behind - missed July and August. We are filing in mid September and I could make our September payment but it may mean I can't purchase a second used vehicle before we file (car was repo'd in July).

I'm afraid if I miss another mortgage payment - the Sheriff will be at our door but we really need a second auto as we have two young children who need to be shuffled around to soccer and swimming...

My atty knows we need another car and he asked that we not spend more than $3500 bu for obvious reasons he cannot advise us NOT to pay our mortgage..

Am I overthinking this? Thanks everyone and have an awesome day !

Yes, you are overthinking this. There are so many steps that happen before the sheriff shows up, and he/she definitely won't show up before September. Buy the car.
    Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

Comment

drowning is right - as soon as you file, the whole thing is stayed - question for you!!! You are 2 months behind, and you'll be paying the arrears in your 13 right?? So...if you file in middle sept, your first POST petition payment will be (I'm assuming) your Oct 1 payment. Would it "mess up" your numbers if you file with three months in arrears and "Keep" your Sept payment, or you don't feel comfortable doing that?

Comment

Do you mean file in October?? Not sure i understand - but want to... Whatever i can do to better situate ourselves- i'm open to. Thank you!!!

Comment

Good question mckinnea - if you are filing IN THE MONTH of Sept - that means that you can either make your Sept payment and "run" 2 months behind and have July and Aug included in your 13 plan OR (if ok with atty and the "numbers" of your plan) you could NOT make Sept payment, FILE IN SEPT, and then would have to make your OCTOBER payment, as then OCT would be your first post petition payment due (assuming your mort payments are due on the first of each month).

So if it is OK with your atty to have THREE month mort arrears in your plan, IF IF IF it's ok with atty, then you could miss Sept, have a bit of cash, and then start making payments Oct onward...

Comment

We haven't yet seen the numbers of our plan. Our atty is still crunching and gathering our docs. So this is a variable that isn't clear.

I would like to skip Sept mortgage - have three mos in arrearage and begin all payments in Oct.. Again -- my atty can't advise me to skip my mortgage payment though..

Comment

Originally posted by mckinnea View Post
              We haven't yet seen the numbers of our plan. Our atty is still crunching and gathering our docs. So this is a variable that isn't clear.

I would like to skip Sept mortgage - have three mos in arrearage and begin all payments in Oct.. Again -- my atty can't advise me to skip my mortgage payment though..
              Right - although mine did!!! But at any rate, please please run it by him first, to make sure that the numbers work IF you skip 3 payments. If they do, and if he is - in principle - ok with it, than you should be good.

Remember that in general you have to make your first Ch 13 payment within 30 days of filing!!!

Comment

Okay - just got our draft plan.. Our payment will be 60% of our net monthly income.. (or $4,930)
                So - what's left needs to cover - food for 4 (90 meals), utilities, phone, insurance, childcare for 2, gas, sports for kids, xmas, birthdays, home maintenance, car maintenance, medical expenses for autistic son, unexpected expenses, etc.. Not listed in any particular order... Oy vey....... ;)

Comment

Is $4,930 your DMI from the means test or Schedule J? Or is it a minimum created by the mortgage arrears and non exempt assets?

ETA: I'm guessing that includes your mothly mortgage payment? How much is going to unsecured creditors?
                  LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                  Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                  $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I'll know more once i read the actual petition...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X