Minimum DMI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minimum DMI?

Is there a minumum amount that they look at to qualify for a chapter 13? The attorney just went through a quick "what are your expenses" and determined that my payment may be about $150/month based on that. This was just the "free" consultation. I now realize that there are expenses that I hadn't considered such as the $25.00/week it costs me to do laundry. Just wondering what would happen if my income vs. expenses were too close to zero. I can't file chapter 7 because I filed 7 years ago so I don't qualify. I just don't want to get into a situation where I'm expensing myself out of a chapter 13 because there are no other alternatives. I also don't want to pay more than I need to either.
    Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Originally posted by mountanddo View Post
    Is there a minumum amount that they look at to qualify for a chapter 13?
    There's some variation between local courts, but in general if you are projected to have less than $6000 in disposable income over the next five years (about $100/month), chances are excellent you can file Ch 7. If you are projected to have more than $10,000 in disposable income over the next five years (about$160/month), most courts will say you have sufficient DMI to file Ch 13.

It's the gray area between $6000 and $10000 DMI that the Schedules I minus J often determine if you have sufficient disposable income to support a Ch 13 plan. In most cases, if your disposable income over five years is greater than 25 percent of your unsecured, non-priority debts, that's generally equivalent to having more than $10,000 in disposable income and being able to (or being forced to) file Ch 13.
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

If you don't qualify or can't file for a ch7 and can't pay your secured in a ch13 you will not be able to file. You have to be able to fund the ch13 and pay all secured creditors/trustee/lawyer.

Comment

Originally posted by mountanddo View Post
        I can't file chapter 7 because I filed 7 years ago so I don't qualify.
        Is there any reason why you cant wait it out until you can file CH. 7 again? You dont want to be stuck in a Ch. 13 for 3-5 years if you cant pay the necessary expenses currently....

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora View Post
          Is there any reason why you cant wait it out until you can file CH. 7 again? You dont want to be stuck in a Ch. 13 for 3-5 years if you cant pay the necessary expenses currently....
          Because I received a Summons two weeks ago and am facing my wages being garnished at $550/month. Since a chapter 13 is only going to be $150/month this seems like a much better option. I would never be able to live if they garnished 25% of my wages. If I knew more about the law and how to navigate the system I might try and hold off for a year. Since I spent the money and do owe it I feel my only option is the chapter 13.
          Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X