top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much does your income have to increase before your payments increase?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much does your income have to increase before your payments increase?

I guess I was just curious about this in case I have to file a Chapter 13.

I've managed to get by this far by finding ways to get money. I've done some nutty stuff--like wrapped my car in advertisements for $1500 and stuff like that!

(My car is too junky now for that...)

I've sold stuff on Ebay (Ebay isn't good now).

I've considered dog walking, etc. I have a full time professional job. I have health issues so I'm never going to be able to join the National Guard--I am too old also. But I considered that.

But let's say during our Chapter 13 I think of a way to make some money or I get a second job or do some contract work that gets me some funds of some type (like copyediting). Do you report every penny to the trustee? Just substantial increases?

Obviously, I'm not considering fraud or anything of that sort. But that seems like a way to survive a 13. Except if it increases my payments to the exact penny amount I work, it's probably not a great idea.

My last crazy idea was to write novel. Lol! That one would just be income in the future.

ETA: Of course, every penny I make goes to credit cards. But I've managed to pay the minimums on my exorbitant interest rate cards (thanks to Chase's malfeasance) this way. I tend to just figure out something about half the time and the other half, we completely run out of money for part of the month.

There is no clear answer for your question, actually most BK questions are dependant on the Lawyer/Trustee or where you file.

For use we don't need to report any increases, but we will let the Lawyer know. The trustee will find out if/when he reviews the tax returns.

Comment

I've had two raises since I filed, one almost immediately after I was confirmed. They were both under 2%. I called my attorney both times to let him know and he said we didn't need to report it to the trustee. As guest123 says, this is going to vary by district. Any increase in income or other change in your financial situation that occurs during a 13 should be reported to your attorney who will decide whether it should be reported to the trustee.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X