Title for my car - that trustee has paid off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Title for my car - that trustee has paid off

We filed chapter 13 in september of 2010. Our plan was confirmed in september of 2011. The first payment to all creditors was made in october of this year (2011) -- and the car (secured) - was paid off by the trustee. Does anyone know if the deed will be held by the trustee or will be sent to us. We are on a five year plan -- which will be paid to all of the unsecured creditors over the next 4 years. Thanks

It took a year for your chapter 13 plan to be confirmed? I'm really not sure what "confirmed" means so maybe it's not as bad as it sounds. Does it normally take that long and what do you do in-between filing and confirmation?

No idea if the trustee keeps the title or not. I would assume that you wouldn't be able to sell the car without their permission while you are in a chapter 13.
    Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

Confirmation of the 341 plan is done by the judge - and is a formal confirmation of your chapter 13 plan. It takes a long time in this state for this to happen - since there are so many people filing bk. I am not interested in selling the car - and the court wouldn't allow it anyway. I am just interested in who gets the title (ourselves or the trustee). If the trustee gets it - then i would assume that he will hold onto it - until our final payment for chapter 13. Thanks

Comment

It would make sense that the trustee hold it until all your payments are made. But I am not a CH13 person, so this is a guess on my part.

Des is from Arizona I believe, and would be the best one to answer this question.
        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

A few car lenders will send you the car title as soon as the plan pays off the car in full. Unfortunately more car lenders will hang on to the title until your case is successfully discharged. Ford Motor Company is one that hangs on to titles until after discharge, for example.

We paid off our cars after the first two years of our plan in 2008. We didn't get our car titles from Ford until about a month ago after we were finally discharged. Sigh.

Your lawyer will know what to expect with your car lenders. Give him/her a call or send an email.
          I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
          06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
          07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
          10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
          01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
          09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
          06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
          08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
          Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Capital one or ascension group holds your title til discharge too.

Comment

We paid off my car in 2007 and don't have the title. Hopefully it will show up soon after discharge (early next year), I am going to need a new (used) vehicle soon as my van is now almost 12 years old!
              Chapter 13 Filed: 2/7/07 Confirmed: 5/1/07 Discharged: 3/2/2012 Closed: 6/2/2012
              130 out of 130 bi-weekly payments DONE
              100% Completed

Comment

Originally posted by CCB35 View Post
                Capital one or ascension group holds your title til discharge too.
                Really - wow - great to know...spouse's car will be paid off in about - well just under 3 years - and it's a car we definitely want to keep for a long time...so I guess we'll then wait another 2 for the title.

Thanks so much!

Comment

My car was paid off through the BK. I didn't even realize that it was paid for and then one day the title showed up in the mail. Thank you Trustee!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X