top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

car title in mine and someone else's name? please advise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

car title in mine and someone else's name? please advise.

we filed for chapter 7 a few weeks ago, but am now being told we'll have to do a 13. several months ago, my mother offered to buy me a new car, paid in full. i thought it best to hold off, thinking we could do that after the 7 discharge. since that won't be happening, can she buy the car after our 13 is confirmed, with the title in both our names and there be no commentary from the trustee?

also, if that's the case, if for some reason we have to convert to a 7 a year or so down the road, would that car be protected because it's in both our names? or would i have to surrender it if i couldn't exempt it?

there's nothing shady going on here, my mom just wants to see me enjoy my inheritance while she's alive, and she knows we need a new car because ours is so old and in need of alot of repairs. she vaguely knows about the bankruptcy. oh, and she will not put the title in just her name. i've tried that route, and she's convinced it will affect her insurance coverge.

Have you discussed the car issue with your lawyer yet?
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

bottom Ad Widget