Thankful and Happy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thankful and Happy

I just wanted to say... I am so thankful for my bankruptcy. Isn't that strange??? If it hadn't been for me filing, I would still be paying minimum payments only to be using my credit cards to buy groceries and to pay the electric bill. I would have NEVER gotten out of that trap.

I see the light at the end of this tunnel. I know it is hard to make my plan payments each month, but my family has been doing it for over half a year now so it is getting easier and easier. Christmas is a bit smaller this year, but we are so blessed with what we have.

When we filed earlier this year, it was as if my world had ended. I really hope those of you who are going through the same thing will soon feel the way I do now. Please know that it is NOT the end of the world
    4/29/2011 - Filed Chapter 13, have to pay a massive payment each month!
    6/16/2011 - 341 meeting
    7/21/2011 - Confirmed!

We feel the same way!! I keep reading so many negative things about a CH13, they are bad. CH7 is the way to go, etc.... We are blessed in our CH13. We can actually pay all our bills and still have money left at the end of the month, instead of being in the red each month. Our attorney helped us work a great plan that we can comfortably live in for the next 5 years. We had been living MUCH tighter before the CH13 filing. It is funny that it took filing CH13 to actually be able to have a little spending money, a little saving money and enough money to pay all the billls, and take so much stress off of us!

Comment

I am so glad that you have saving money left over, I do not. I think my attorney was really conservative with our budget. He said he left us plenty of breathing room, but I just don't see it. We have, however, learned to live within the means we were given

I also think that if it weren't for the Ch 13, I wouldn't be disciplined. I've talked to so many others who have done the Ch 7 and they are all in the same boat as they were before. Since they got off basically scott free, they didn't learn any sort of lesson. I, for one, will NEVER allow myself to get in the situation I got myself into before. I just WILL NOT.
      6/16/2011 - 341 meeting
      7/21/2011 - Confirmed!

Comment

nsupanda, I am glad to read how positively you are feeling about your Chap 13, even though it is tough. I am exactly a year ahead of you in my Chap 13 and am also thankful and happy. I don't think it is strange. After all, filing BK is supposed to help the debtor, even if it is a Chap 13.

Like 8forme, I now have money left over at the end of the month. My plan payment is much lower than my usecured debt payments were before filing. There is way too much fear of Chap 13s and I try to counteract the fear of a 13 whenever I can. That's why my signature says what it does. Chap 13 is harder for some than others. But, it is rare that somebody here reports that they regret it. Those who regret it usually never should have been in a 13 in the first place, are unwilling to make necessary changes to their lifestyle, or have a lousy attorney. Even those who struggle will usually admit it is better than not filing BK at all.

Thanks for this positive Chap 13 thread. It should help calm the nerves of those facing a Chap 13.
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by nsupanda View Post
          I've talked to so many others who have done the Ch 7 and they are all in the same boat as they were before. Since they got off basically scott free, they didn't learn any sort of lesson.
          They must have not paid attention to their post-filing credit counseling course instruction. ;-)
          Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Good to hear you are doing well too. I should probably change my signature to a more positive one, but... I think it's funny with the smiley faces and all (shows my reaction to how I felt that day haha).

To those who may be reading this who have not started the process: I cannot stress enough how important it is to shop for an attorney. We just went with the one we were referred to. I do not believe he did his best work on our case and I do regret retaining him. He did not try at all to get our plan payments down and he seemed to be working against us and more for the credit companies. We were merely just a number to him. Other people here locally who have used other attorneys have said they fought for them. I should have shopped! I think I was just so stressed and wanted to get it over with so fast that I didn't want to take the time to get second opinions.

Other than that little mishap, this whole process really hasn't been so bad! We also just found out we are paying back 100% which means we could POSSIBLY be done with our plan sooner. That gives me hope
            6/16/2011 - 341 meeting
            7/21/2011 - Confirmed!

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
              They must have not paid attention to their post-filing credit counseling course instruction. ;-)
              Bwahahahaha! I'm sorry, but those courses are the biggest joke EVER!
              6/16/2011 - 341 meeting
              7/21/2011 - Confirmed!

Comment

Chapter 13 was the best thing that has happened to us!! Only 2 payments in, and there is such a huge difference, no more stress!! All of our utilities are caught up and after Christmas is done we are going to start our emergency fund. It just feels nice to not worry about having the money to buy diapers. Only regret is that we didn't do it sooner.

Comment

I should probably change my signature to a more positive one, but... I think it's funny with the smiley faces and all (shows my reaction to how I felt that day haha).
                  How about adding a line? Something like: 12/7/2011 - Thankful and Happy for Chap 13 even though it's not easy.

Positive and honest.

Bwahahahaha! I'm sorry, but those courses are the biggest joke EVER!
                  I agree. I didn't learn a thing. Being a member of this board is much more educational!
                  LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                  Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                  $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I'm grateful for my chapter 13, too. I'm 13/48 months in, and I sure wish I had known about all this budgeting long ago. Could have saved myself years of trouble. I haven't been able to amass any great amount of savings yet, small emergencies, plumbing and car repairs keep happening, but I'm happy I've been able to keep up with them.

I just don't mindlessly buy things anymore. No more "retail therapy." :-) I'd much rather see any extra $$'s going into my little stash. Never thought I'd say this, but it's just wonderful to be free of credit cards.

Comment

Can't agree with you more lillymarlene. A great stress relief happened when we filed nearly 2.5 years ago. The first thing we immediately noticed was a quiet phone and an empty mailbox! We are almost half way done and are doing fine. We have money left over each month and are no longer living paycheck to paycheck without reducing any of our debt. No longer will we have credit cards. We do not trust any of the big banks anymore after what they did to us. I don't care what our credit score is because we will not be making any major purchases anymore. We are both in our 50's and will be staying in the house we now own. As far as cars go we don't need anything newer than 8 years old and there are lots of bargains out there. Bottom line is we should have done this 10 years ago. The banks are no longer profiting off our misery.
                      Filed July 2009. Discharged 08/08/2014. Awaiting closing. We made it !!!! Woo-hoo!

Comment

Originally posted by 4theboys View Post
                        It just feels nice to not worry about having the money to buy diapers. Only regret is that we didn't do it sooner.
                        You could do like us and cloth diaper. Seriously, they are nothing like your grandma's diapers. We are on our 4th cloth diapered child now, been using them since 2007. I can't imagine having to worry about running out of diapers and wipes and running to the store. I just have to throw a load in the washer! We started for the $$ aspect, but after researching all the yucky chemicals in disposables, we won't ever use them again! Just some food for thought!

Comment

Thank you!! We are filing for ch13 next week, if all goes well... I must admit, I have a good amount of anxiety. We have not paid our credit card bills in 6 months, and have been preparing for this along the way. It is now just about here and I'm getting stressed. It is so good to see this post! I have not been to this site in a few weeks, because all the post have been on the negative side. I know this is the best solution for our family, and it will be hard. It is so nice to see that other people are doing better in a ch13, and staying positive.

Comment

Originally posted by 8forme View Post
                            You could do like us and cloth diaper. Seriously, they are nothing like your grandma's diapers. We are on our 4th cloth diapered child now, been using them since 2007. I can't imagine having to worry about running out of diapers and wipes and running to the store. I just have to throw a load in the washer! We started for the $$ aspect, but after researching all the yucky chemicals in disposables, we won't ever use them again! Just some food for thought!
                            People need to actually evaluate their utility prices to see if they'll save money. I cloth diapered (LOVED it!), but didn't save any money because our water rates are so expensive that our water bill went up by about $40/mo. when I started cloth diapering. I did it mainly for the environment and the cuteness factor. In fact, they were so easy to use (mostly blueberry all-in-one & Bumgenius all-in-one) that my daycare even used them on her for me!
                            Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
                            0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

Originally posted by cantkeepgoin View Post
                              Thank you!! We are filing for ch13 next week, if all goes well... I must admit, I have a good amount of anxiety. We have not paid our credit card bills in 6 months, and have been preparing for this along the way. It is now just about here and I'm getting stressed. It is so good to see this post! I have not been to this site in a few weeks, because all the post have been on the negative side. I know this is the best solution for our family, and it will be hard. It is so nice to see that other people are doing better in a ch13, and staying positive.
                              I'm positive that you'll look back on this stress and you will be SO glad you did it. I know how you feel, I was in tears & fetal position on a daily basis at your stage. After the first few Ch 13 payments you really start to get used to it and you learn to adjust.

One way I learned to adjust is to be on the envelope system. Things like clothes, oil changes, car repairs, doctor visits, pet supplies (things that normally aren't a regular monthly expense), they have their own "envelope" that I put money into each month. I do not keep actual physical envelopes with money, instead I opened a separate bank account and made an excel spreadsheet with each "envelope" having its own tab. It's worked like a charm for us and that's how we've adjusted.

Keep your chin up, don't focus on the negative posts on here. Most of the negative posts are from people who are scared out of their mind currently, but I feel like they too will be just fine with time.
                              6/16/2011 - 341 meeting
                              7/21/2011 - Confirmed!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X