Just Completed The Debtor Education Course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Completed The Debtor Education Course

With 10 months left on my 5 year (actually 54 month) Chapter 13 plan, I decided to get the mandatory Debtor Education Course out of the way. Perhaps some of you might appreciate knowing what you are in for.

I took the on-line course at [debtoredu.com]. I found out about it at the US Trustee's website. It is an approved course almost everywhere (how many different ways are there to say the same thing?). It costs $9.95 which you pay for with a credit or debit card, or Paypal, due when you register.

It takes two hours to complete, and it is divided into 5 sections. There is a countdown timer at the top of the page, which stops when you click the "next" button to continue. Arriving at the next page, the timer begins to count down again.

I chose to listen to the audio and let the pleasant male voice do the reading. The voice reads every single word of the text on each page. At the beginning of the course, I hit the "next" button as soon as the voice finished reading the page, but toward the end of the course, I began to delay that in order to run more time off of the countdown timer.

It stands to reason that letting the voice read the pages would approximate the full two hours that you must use before you are allowed to finish the course. There is a quiz at the end of each section consisting of about 10 multiple choice questions. I only got 1 answer wrong on probably the only "trick" question there is in the course. Unless you are a cretin with a room temperature IQ you will answer the vast majority of the questions correctly. The program did not react to the one question I answered incorrectly, but it did display the correct answer.

When you get to the end of the course, the program will not allow you to hit the last "next" button until the timer has timed out to zero. I had 30 seconds left, and when I hit "next" I got a message in red that said to wait until the timer runs out. When I did, I arrived at the certificate of completion page. Read the instructions carefully before you hit the "Issue Certificate" button. Basically, the instructions tell you to review the info on your registration form and ensure that the date is 100 percent correct. They charge $5 to correct each mistake when it comes to your case number, BK district, and some other vital statistic.

I can tell you this: you have heard it all before, but it is worth hearing it again. The course materials, that is.

We where 7 meat so I don't know your course. We have to go through a three hour course and I can state, we truly learned something and enjoyed it very much. It was 35 bucks for both of us and I wish we could do this now and again just to remind us of what they said. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

fyi...Ch 7 and Ch 13 filers take the very same pre- and post-filing required courses. The only difference between 7s and 13ers is the time frame when the second debtor education course has to be taken. Ch 7 filers have about 60 days, and Ch 13 filers have about 4.5 years
      I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
      06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
      07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
      10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
      01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
      09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
      06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
      08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
      Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Thank you for that info kornellred. We are planning to do it sometime in Jan., our chapter 13 is finished in July.
        Filed Chapter 13 - 7/10/07 - 5 year plan with 2 cars and 10% unsecured payback,
        Last Payment 7/12, DISCHARGED 11/26/12 CLOSED 12/18/12

Comment

Our Chapter 13 is over in June this year and we need to do this. As soon as there is some cold winter afternoon with nothing to do, and we plan to take it. I dont want to be late.
          However, did the company you take the test from mail in your completion paperwork to the trustee or is it up to us to get it to the trustee?

Also, do couples answer the questions together or is there 2 tests? My husband is will take forever to read it so it is good to know there is a reader option.

thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by katztoo View Post
            Thank you for that info kornellred. We are planning to do it sometime in Jan., our chapter 13 is finished in July.
            I'm not sure why my attorney said I need to do my second course within 75 days of filing or I won't be discharged. I'm in a chapter 13. Also, it is given by someone at the attorney's office. I'll call this week and find out what that is about.
            Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

mountanddo, maybe it differs by state. We took the first course when we filed and the lawyer said we can take the second one anytime before discharge. I hope he was right! It's been a loooooonnnnnnggggg 41/2 years (soon to be five ), I dont want to mess anything up now!
              Filed Chapter 13 - 7/10/07 - 5 year plan with 2 cars and 10% unsecured payback,
              Last Payment 7/12, DISCHARGED 11/26/12 CLOSED 12/18/12

Comment

debtoredu.com does NOT mail the certificate of completion to the trustee; only to your BK attorney (if you have one) and to you. I have no idea if couples need to take the course separately. My posting was purely for the purpose of letting people know how the on-line course works.

Comment

Originally posted by mountanddo View Post
                  I'm not sure why my attorney said I need to do my second course within 75 days of filing or I won't be discharged. I'm in a chapter 13. Also, it is given by someone at the attorney's office. I'll call this week and find out what that is about.
                  This was sort of like what happened to me. My chap 13 was filed the end of October 2010, then in December my lawyer sent me a notice to take this second course, as soon as possible. The course had already been paid for (included in my attorney's fees) so I just went online and completed it. I think that when you have to take this course varies by district.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

lu

Comment

If your pacer docket report says DebtorEd on it, does that mean you have been credited for taking it, or that you need to take it?
                      filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X