top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long to I have to wait to refile chapter 13 after my case is dismissed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long to I have to wait to refile chapter 13 after my case is dismissed?

If my chapter 13 case gets dismissed or if I dismiss my case on my own, how long would I have to wait to refile a new chapter 13 case? Thanks.

Why dismiss at all? Not quite understanding why you'd dismiss only to refile Ch. 13 since you stated you worked things out with your creditor in a previous post? I think you need to sit down and really think about why you filed in the first place; dont dismiss if you know you'll only refile later. Makes no sense...

Comment

The workout may now fall through and I'm behind on mortgage payment so my case may get dismissed. I would have to refile chapter 13 in order to not loose my home. How long would I have to wait to refile the chapter 13 if my case gets dismissed or if the automatic stay gets lifted? Thanks.

Comment

If you voluntarily dismiss the case AFTER the filing of a Motion to Lift Stay, you must wait 6 months to file another case.
        If you voluntarily dismiss the case BEFORE the filing of a Motion to Lift the Stay you can file another case at any time.
        If your case gets dismissed because you "willfully" disobeyed a court order you must wait 6 months to file another case.

If you file a 2nd case within 1 year of the dismissal of the 1st case you must ask the court to extend the automatic stay beyond 30 days.

Des.

Comment

Thanks Des! So if the mortgage servicer tries to lift the stay and the judge grants it then do I still have to wait 6 months to file another chapter 13 case or could I file one as soon as the servicer tries to proceed with foreclosure after the stay is lifted? Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by confused12 View Post
            So if the mortgage servicer tries to lift the stay and the judge grants it then do I still have to wait 6 months to file another chapter 13 case or could I file one as soon as the servicer tries to proceed with foreclosure after the stay is lifted?
            11 USC 109(g) states:

". . . no individual. . . may be a debtor under this title who has been a debtor in a case pending under this title at any time in the proceeding 180 days if . . .(2) the debtor requested an obtained a voluntary dismissal of the case following the filing of a request for relief from the automatic stay. . ."

The granting of the motion for relief is not the issue.

Now, if you were to ask me if I have filed cases in “violation” of this provision, the answer is “yes” - on rare occasion - better be a darn good reason. However, it must be understood by my client that the subject of the lift stay motion is to be surrendered in case #2 or we must have an adequate protection agreement with the creditor before case #2 is filed.

Des.

Comment

Thanks so much for your help Des!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X