Recommendations for post-filing course?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations for post-filing course?

I'm sure there are other threads out there on this - but my goodness, there are a lot of pages on this board

Anyone have any recommended websites to do the post-filing course? I've heard prices vary, and I'm also a bit hesitant about sending personal information over the web with a site that I am not familiar with.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

(PS - I don't think I ever posted my follow up to my 341 back in November - in and out, minimal questions, trustee and my attorney chatted about their kids - so far, so good - the only objection filed so far was my first mortgage because my attorney forgot to add our mortgage arrears into the original plan - we've modified, and are on track....eagerly awaiting confirmation and news on our lien strip petition)

You must complete your required post-filing debtor education course from an agency that is approved by your state. Here's the link to search for your state to first see which agencies are approved - http://www.justice.gov/ust/eo/bapcpa...e_approved.htm

After that, as long as you take the course and give the successful completion certificate to your lawyer, it really doesn't matter which agency you use. Your lawyer probably can recommend agencies he/she likes to use. It's worth starting there.

You'll see many comments here in the forums about post-filing course agencies members have used and liked or not liked. It's really just a box to check that's required by the bk law. Just don't wait until the end of your plan to check it. Go ahead and get it done when your emergency fund can pay for the course.
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

We used 10debtoreducation.com for our post filing course. It was $9.99 each for my husband and I, compared to $50 or so for the sites recommended by our attorney. We got certificates emailed to ourselves and our attorney the same day. No issues whatsoever. The trustee was fine with us using this site and it meets all bankruptcy code criteria. Good luck! : )

Comment

I was lucky that my BK trustee offers his own post-petition classes for free! We took ours last fall about 4 years into the process, but there were some people there that had their confirmation hearing that very morning. He also offers lots of money management seminars and credit building seminars and such, but they are over an hour drive away and during the workweek so the only one we ever went to was the mandatory one. But I'd check to see if your trustee offers one before paying for one somewhere else.
        Filed CH 13 September 17, 2007
        Plan Modified July 8, 2009 from $1100/month to $400/month due to change in income, finally discharged in July of 2013!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X