No announcement yet.

Is Chapter 13 my only choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone. I met with the second lawyer and got a much better feeling about everything. He took a look at everything, and said he can't see a reason why I wouldn't file a 7, and that if I filed a 13, essentially I'd just be paying his fees for 3 years. He was genuine, kept it straight, and he's accessible by email which is really great for me. After talking with him, I'm planning now to file a 7 with him instead. The total will be $1600 and it is all due up front.

So now, i have to come up with all that money. And I'm still left with the problem of the pending suit. I received another letter stating that if I didn't respond to the suit within 10 days, a judgement would be filed against me. I also found out that even though I was only served the papers for one suit, there's actually two suits against me, one for each of the two accounts in collection, and they say both were served. I asked the lawyer if I should respond to the suits, or let them go to judgement. I guess I'm worried about my bank account getting frozen. I know I can stop my direct deposit, but then how do I pay my bills if I don't have a checking account? It's stressful just thinking about it. It will take me a few months to come up with $1600 so I know if I get the judgement against me, they'll freeze my account before I'm ready to file. He said answering the suits would cost $150 each just to file my response. It seems silly to drop $300 to buy some time when I could use that money towards filing my 7. Does anyone know if there's a way around the filing cost to buy myself some more time on the suits? Or do I just need to withdraw the money from my checking account and start using money orders?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X