No announcement yet.

Had 341 meeting in District 9 today .....info re. retirement contributions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys and gals. While I understand why the courts would rule this way, I just don't like it.

Comment

Originally posted by NeedOptions View Post
      Thanks guys and gals. While I understand why the courts would rule this way, I just don't like it.
      I think it is a terrible message to send that retirement savings is not a necessary expense. The Tax Code encourages retirement savings, why shouldn't the Bankruptcy Code? Some of us spent years trying to pay off our creditors instead of saving for retirement only to see very small decreases in the debt we owe. We even took loans and withdrawals from our retirement plans before realizing we were fighting a losing battle. My plan allows me to save for retirement and I think all plans should.

When we don't like the way the courts interpret the law, we should ask our representatives to change the law. I just wrote to my Congresswoman asking her to submit legislation to amended the bankruptcy code to clarify that retirement savings is a necessary expense. I encourage anyone else who agrees with me on this issue to do the same. It only takes a few minutes.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

What I wonder is: Okay, the trustee decides that you have to liquidate your Retirement Fund to satisfy a debt. Who gets the Federal Income Tax penalty? You, the debtor, or the trustee? I suspect the poor debtor.... and that just 'ain't' right, when one is trying for a 'new start'.
        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
          What I wonder is: Okay, the trustee decides that you have to liquidate your Retirement Fund to satisfy a debt. Who gets the Federal Income Tax penalty? You, the debtor, or the trustee? I suspect the poor debtor.... and that just 'ain't' right, when one is trying for a 'new start'.
          I don't think they'll be able to make people liquidate their retirement fund if their confirmed plan allowed them to contribute to it. I think the worse they can do is petition to modify the plan so you can't continue the contributions. You would have to take the income tax effects of eliminating the contribution into account when determining the new plan payment. At least that is the position I would insist my attorney take.

Hey Des, I noticed that the Parks opinion hasn't been published yet. Isn't it true that an unpublished opinion cannot be relied on as precedence? Does the BAP ever not publish its opinions or is it just a matter of time?
          $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
            Hey Des, I noticed that the Parks opinion hasn't been published yet. Isn't it true that an unpublished opinion cannot be relied on as precedence? Does the BAP ever not publish its opinions or is it just a matter of time?
            Never mind. I just found the opinion with a big stamp on the top "ORDERED PUBLISHED".

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X