Chapter 13 Work laptop asset?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chapter 13 Work laptop asset?

On 6/15/12 my boss gave me a check to purchase a company laptop which is the property of the company I work for. He has supplied a letter stating he gave me the check to purchase the laptop for company use and it's property of said company.

I'm getting ready to redo my numbers for my Chapter 13 conversion. Since this is technically company property I'm assuming this won't need to be listed as an asset? I meet with my lawyer next Wednesday to redo my numbers and make amendments in my conversion, just want to know how I should handle this or if I need to list it at all.

Thanks in advance

You not only do not need to list this item, you should not list it (period). Your post did peek my curiosity though. Was the check written out to you and you cashed or deposited the check?
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
      You not only do not need to list this item, you should not list it (period). Your post did peek my curiosity though. Was the check written out to you and you cashed or deposited the check?
      Yes the check was made out to me which I deposited then promptly went to the Apple store to purchase the laptop. Is this something I need to be worried about and if so what is the best way to handle it?
      Last edited by cz3ch; 10-17-2012, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cz3ch View Post
        Yes the check was made out to me which I deposited then promptly went to the Apple store to purchase the laptop.
        Interesting. I guess I would call it an "advance" for expenses. Hopefully, it wasn't too recently and doesn't show up on any bank statements that the Trustee may ask for. Otherwise, you'll then need to explain it.

However, it is not your asset.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Interesting. I guess I would call it an "advance" for expenses. Hopefully, it wasn't too recently and doesn't show up on any bank statements that the Trustee may ask for. Otherwise, you'll then need to explain it.

However, it is not your asset.
          It was from 6/15 which is when the check was written. If I need to explain it to the Trustee what should I say? I have the document signed by my boss explaining the check was given to me to pay for a work laptop which is company property. Sorry if I seem worried, but I am

Comment

Just as you are here, you just be honest if the Trustee asks where the $$$ went. You can also offer (tender) the letter as well. Don't worry about it though as the Trustee may not even ask... especially in a Chapter 13!

Comment

Just as you are here, you just be honest if the Trustee asks where the $$$ went. You can also offer (tender) the letter as well. Don't worry about it though as the Trustee may not even ask... especially in a Chapter 13!
              Thanks for your feedback. The letter is very explicit that the computer is company property and the check was issued to pay for the laptop and not to be considered personal property. Also he supplied a copy of the check and in the memo it states, "Computer reimbursement". So at least I have a proper paper trail for everything.

Crisis avoided I suppose.

Comment

Okay, very cool... it actually has a MEMO of "computer reimbursement" which means that it's a business expense!

Comment

Okay, very cool... it actually has a MEMO of "computer reimbursement" which means that it's a business expense!
                  Yeah that's what put me at ease. At the very worse I have to explain it and present documentation to the Trustee. I'll be sure to give this information to my lawyer when I meet her next week.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X