top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ADT Security-Anyone ever include when under contract?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ADT Security-Anyone ever include when under contract?

We have not filed yet but it will probably be a 13. We are still currently under a contract with ADT for the system that they installed and the monthly monitoring fee. I believe that I saw on the DMI test that "home security" can be included but if we wanted to lose this account, is it possible? Not sure if they are considered unsecured or secured (if the equipment in the home has a security interest). We did pay an installation fee to have it installed and activated.

Since the monthly fee is around $48 month, we are thinking that this may be an expense to lose. They could have their equipment back as it is all wireless so it would be a relatively easy tear down. Not sure how the remaining months on the contract would be handled.

If you are allowed to expense it in a 13, and you choose not to, the $48 will go to the trustee as part of your DMI. Either way, you don't get to keep the money.
    Filed Ch 13 Feb 9, 2012, 341 meeting Mar 15, 2012, Confirmed Apr 5, 2012
    Anticipated freedom party Apr 2015

Comment

It was permitted in our plan.

Comment

I had a security company for my business location that I closed. They claimed that if I returned their equipment, they would cancel the contract, which turned out to be a lie. They kept making phone calls, sending statments to my home for
        monitoring that no longer existed and letters saying that even though I don't have my location, their contact still exists, and I still was responsible. They even contacted me after I filed chapter 13, saying that this bankruptcy is only for me personally not for XYZ Company. I told them to contact my attorney, and then I never heard from them again.

steve, if you think you don't want to have anymore dealings with this security company, now would probably be the time to break with them.

Comment

I included it as necessary for the protection of family. However, some Trustees are very specific that you need some sort of "restraining order" or other document showing that you are actually in fear of harm (immediate or otherwise). My Trustee didn't seem to care about my expense. I live in a very good neighborhood with a crime index of 3 (and it's all larceny).
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

My ADT plan @ $40/month was expensed without issue.
            19% dividend

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X