2012 Tax Return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2012 Tax Return

I'm converting to a Chapter 13 and per my calculations I won't be getting a tax refund for 2012 and may even owe. My question is once I get my W2 in the mail and plug in all the info if turbotax sees that I'm getting a refund what happens to that refund? Do I hand it over to the trustee? I don't want to get in trouble for not listing an estimated refund in my petition. The lawyer says we can amend an estimated amount and exempt it but I'm not so sure.

Any advice is appreciated.

Not all trustees require that tax refunds be sent to them. Your attorney can tell you if the trustee in your particular area has this requirement. Even if yours does, that does not mean each and every case.

Comment

Your attorney is correct that you can amend your petition later if you get a refund. If you currently estimate you will get no refund, then there is nothing to list. You only get in trouble for lying on your petition. If you amend the petition to correct a miscalculation in a timely manner, nobody is going to accuse of you of lying.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Our Attorney told us to just let him know what the refund amt. is. If it exceeds $2,000 (which ours won't) then our Trustee takes any amount over $2,000. Check with your Attorney. sammie
        Plan Completed 10 months early 09/24/2014 Discharged 11/04/2014

Filed Ch 13 Aug. 2012 341 Meeting 09/12/2012 Confirmed 10/23/2012

Comment

Mine might take it and that bums me out!!
          Discharge date: October 2017 (will it ever get here?)

Comment

Mine will take anything over $3600 (which is unlikely to be anything at all).
            Filed Ch 13 Feb 9, 2012, 341 meeting Mar 15, 2012, Confirmed Apr 5, 2012
            Anticipated freedom party Apr 2015

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X