Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I be bonded?

Hello-

I will have the opportunity soon to begin applying for positions that may require me to be bonded. I will not be directly working with large amounts of cash, more like signing checks for an admin position in a school. I have read that credit checks for employment or promotions are not legal in my state (Oregon) but I still wonder if being in BK13 will hold me back from higher level positions. My attorney said not to worry, but as I move up to potentially more public positions, I'm worried that the fact that I am in BK will ruin my chances. I just want to go into this with full understanding and prepare for all possibilities. I am almost 2 years into my BK13, with 3 more to go.

I know I am probably being paranoid, but this is a safe place to ask the experts. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Listen to your attny.

In the 24 years of being in this business, with the exception of one case, I have not had a client have a problem with employment due to a bk. If you work for a government agency (public school for example), it is a violation of bk law to discriminate against you in the hiring or maintianing of a job. If you work in the private sector it is a violation of bk law for the employer to fire you due to a bk.

In the one case where this issue came up, simply educating the employer about 11 USC 525 resolved the problem.

Des.

Comment

I have recently started looking into this as well. I have an opportunity for a promotion at the end of this year (small company, they plan ahead) where I will become the contact for the company pension, among other things. All officers & anyone who deals w/ the pension must be bonded. From the research I've done, its a fidelity bond and ANYONE can be bonded. The detail is how much the insurance costs, and whether or not your employer is willing to pay. And in my case, being that its a small company, possibly needing to discuss my credit (which will be reviewed by the underwriting insurance company, not sure if they would actually discuss the details w/ my employer?) with my bosses.
      ~Staci
      Not an attorney, and never played one on tv. My responses are based on my own experiences & personal opinions.)

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X