Question about sending in first payment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about sending in first payment

Our first payment is due the 30th. We are sending it in today. I assume we are sending it in with enough "cushion" time. Otherwise we will be in trouble every month. My question is this, what do you send w/ your payment in order to insure you get proper credit? Just your BK number and names? Do you put your bk number in the memo? What do you do? Also, has anyone had a problem with their cashiers check not making it or being credited? I am concerned sending a 1300.00 cashiers check w/ no tracking etc. Ease my mind please.

I only sent in my 1st month's payment via cashier's check. I did include my case #. I opted to go with my employer deducting my payments and sending them directly to the trustee. Anything to increase the chance of me successfully finishing these 60 months is something I'm willing to do.

Comment

Thank you Nursemikki. Payroll deduction isn't an option for us because we are self employed. Looks like I will be on pins and needles worrying if my cashiers check made it every month......for 60 months! I know tons of people send their payment in this way every month w/o problem. I'm just a major control freak!

Comment

Good morning..

Make sure your name(s) and full case number is on the check,e g. JOE AND JANE SMITH BK 13-xxxx BDL. And yes, that is always what I have them put on the memo line. That is all that is required when sending the payment. I'm into my 14th month and never had a problem with the payment being received/posted. Just relax, I think we all go through this nervousness.
        I'm hoping for the day when all trustees will accept ACH payments.
        Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
        Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

We were an Asset CH7 case, and we had to make monthly payments for 12 months to buy our stuff back from the BK Estate. At first we sent in a personal check with our names and case # as Sophieanne suggests. But we were worried that a couple of our automatic draw payments would hit the account before the trustee's office cashed the check. We certainly didn't want the trustee's check to bounce!

So we started sending postal money orders. We looked into sending bank checks, but the banks wanted at least $10.00--in many cases more--to make the check. We did not have an account at a local bank at the time. We are members of a CU that is headquartered in another state. So a postal money order costing about $1.40 was the charm. I also started sending the money orders via certified mail with return receipt. It cost an additional $5.60, but the peace of mind was well worth it.
          "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Just a suggestion.

Does your bank offer some sort of bill pay? My payment is due by the 15th of each month and I set up an automatic bill pay to be delivered by the 10th. Bank usually has it there by the 8th and goes via the mail and I've had no issues with late payments in the last 2 years that I have been using it. If you are one of the more fortunate ones that has a trustee that accepts electronic payments then that would be the way to go.

For a couple of months after I retired and payroll deduction was not an option, I mailed my payment (personal check) via Priority Mail with delivery confirmation. Priority gets a more "personal" touch and is not subject to getting lost as easily as First Class mail.
            Filed 11/10/08

Discharged 2/18/14

Comment

I'm on payment 34/48, and I have to send mine in a money order or bank check since personal checks or electronic transfers are not an option in my area. Money orders with my bank are $1.00. Though it's not really proof I always use a certificate of mailing (makes me feel better anyway) and keep a copy of my money order.

Comment

I send PO money orders, trustee will only accept MO or bank check. I sent them using the US mail about 10 days in advance of the due date. Just mailed payment #43 and so far so good. Some months I see them on 13datacenter within a few days other times it takes more than a week.

I always put the BK # on the outside of the envelope below the return address and also on the money order with our name and address. Sometimes I use a sticky with the BK # and our names but it is probably not necessary. Since I have to send 2 MO's I always use a paperclip and separate them so they don't think there is just one. The only time I use priority mail is when I am afraid I have cut the time to close but so far, I have only done that 2x.
                Discharged 5/2015

Comment

I use TFS bill pay. All 4 of our payments have gone thru fine.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X