I am in trouble.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am in trouble.

Not sure if this is the right place for this if not one of the mods can move it. I was discharged from my 13 in May of this year that is why I am posting it here.

Everything was going so great. I had a nice savings account built up and a great job. But no health insurance as of yet. Anyway my back had started hurting pretty bad again so I went to the doc. Had an MRI done and have cancer in my spine. Started out as breast cancer and spread to my back. The cancer had eaten away at my spine and shattered a bone so that is why my back hurt so bad all the time.

I have had a ton of doc visits and tests done thus far and the medical bill is getting quite high. I start chemo and radiation next week to start fighting this cancer. So the bill will continue to climb. I had to quit my job and apply for disability as I have a hard time walking due to the damage done to my spine.

My savings is all gone already as I gave it all to the medical bills that are pouring in. Right now I am scared of not getting the disability and having no way to pay the bills. What the heck am I going to do then? So much to think about right now my head is just spinning. Can't really think straight at this time. I think I am still in shock that I have cancer.

one word

medicaid....you AID the poor you CARE for the elderly.

sorry to hear about your cancer. many have a hard time even talking about it, and most likely turn their heads. i never talked about it until way way later. our first was a stage 4 no hope say good bye at least 5 times. so i know and understand what you are going through. i hope you have a good support system.

you need to contact social services. get a case manager and get through this, and you will you must keep the faith...(funny many don't know God until they have to look hi/her straight in the eye). but with a little faith and getting onto medicaid you will get the help you so badly need. my prayers will be with you.
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

I am so sorry to read this. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Try not to worry about the disability. I don't know how true this is, but I have heard that having cancer is one of the easiest pathways to getting disability. I have a friend who was diagnosed with stage IV Melanoma a couple of years ago. He got disability on the first try. That is a blessing, because like you, he doesn't have health insurance. He is self-employed and said he just couldn't afford nearly $500.00 a month for insurance.
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Does your state have temporary disability? My state does, through the unemployment office. You may qualify for it until permanent disability kicks in.

Call your legal aid office and try to find a disability attorney. I wouldn't wait the long months only to find you are denied (like most applicants) the first time. Even if you end up paying an attorney, I don't believe they collect until you start receiving disability payments, and if it speeds up the process for you, it would be worth it.

Definitely sign up for Medicaid now.

I'm so sorry this is happening to you. Please keep us posted, and feel free to just vent if you need to.

My thoughts are with you.

Comment

i know for us we JUST applied??? why i'm not exactly certain for the disability. my d/h thinks it helps us with our home taxes etc. i'm not really sure. or maybe it raises his SS???

again, please keep the faith! your plate is full now, but it will slowly get better
          8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

I am very sorry for your situation and will keep you in my thoughts.

I have no experience in these matters so am not able to give any advice.
            11/23/'10-filed ch 13. 1/6/'11-341, confirmed. Below median. Plan completed 11/30/2015. DISSCHARGED 4/4/2016.JP

Comment

I'm heartsick and shocked on your behalf... I can't even pretend to imagine what you must be feeling. You will stay in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us updated. I realize we are only a virtual community but speaking for myself I can say that I care and I know you believe that there are many here who care along with me. So very sorry your are going through this.
              Filed Ch 13 Feb 9, 2012, 341 meeting Mar 15, 2012, Confirmed Apr 5, 2012
              Anticipated freedom party Apr 2015

Comment

((((hugs))))
                you WILL get thru this.
                So many wise and caring souls here. Hang in there angel. We are all here for you.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

I would be in shock too! I am sorry to read this. I am sure you will find a way to get thru this! You got thru a 13 so you are as tough as nails! But what a challenge. You can do this, keep or find other support groups. Keep us posted. Hugs
                  Discharge date: October 2017 (will it ever get here?)

Comment

Sorry to read about this. I really don't know what to say, but bad as this is I'm sure you'll get through this.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your replies. As for Medicaid I looked into that and I am not eligible. I copied this from my states website: To be eligible, the family must consist of a parent or other adult caretaker relative and a dependent child. A caretaker relative may be parent, grandparent, brother, sister, stepparent, etc. A dependent child is a child under age 18 who is living with a parent or a caretaker relative. If a child is 18 years old and still a fulltime student in high school, the child is considered a dependent child if he or she is expected to complete high school before reaching age 19.

If I had a dependent child I would be ok but since I don't I am out of luck. The only thing DSS says they can help me out with is food stamps. So I did apply for that since I have no income coming in.

I do have a good support system. I have 5 brothers and one sister who are behind me all the way. One of my brothers and his wife will be taking turns accompanying me to chemo since I don't want to go thru that alone. I have a very good friend who has been with me every step of the way so far. Every appt I have had she has been there with me. Good friends like that are hard to find.

I am sure I will be posting here a lot. Just helps to talk about it even with strangers. I do believe all of you care and I appreciate that very much. Nice to know I have lots of people supporting my fight right now.

Comment

That sounds like a Family Care site. And with the new laws you are almost surely eligible for something. Ask someone to help you with this.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Ok I will. Thank you keepsmiling.

Comment

Dear Angel:

Just like you "landed" here at BKForum when you needed help with your bankruptcy - there is kind of an SSDI-SSI 'version' of BKForum complete with it's very own heroes like Des, JustBroke, LadyInTheRed and all the other wonderful, helpful BK Forum members here. That site is here: http://ssdfacts.com/forum/index.php Go to the section of the forum where you can "introduce yourself" on there. Then read and ASK questions!!! I chose to use a different screen-name there and post very rarely but I do read every day there.

Have you received all the information seeking forms from SSA after you filed? Like about your past work experience, what you can do on a daily basis, etc.? If you have not (or if you just haven't completed them yet) HOW YOU WORD THEM can make all the difference in your being approved for benefits on the first try. The SSAFacts forum has LOTS of info and can give good suggestions on how to fill out this paperwork. For example, you can't just say you have cancer, you have to say why having cancer means you can't perform any of your past job skills (plus other things dependent on your age at time of filing, diagnosis, other disabilities, etc.).

There ARE compassionate allowances and expedited benefits available for various conditions from the SSA. Our friends at NOLO Press have some good info - some specifically about breast cancer - here: http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/res...ble-if-cancer-

Filing for SSDI or SSI is a lot like filing for BK - they are both paperwork intensive and government driven with directions that confound mere mortals.

If you filed without representation and do not receive approval on your initial application, I would hire an ATTORNEY *NOT* an advocate to help you with your case. FYI: Binder & Binder are advocates not attorneys. The most either can charge is 25% (up to a limit of $6,000) of your backpay - (FYI backpay is money owed to you due to the time it takes the SSA to process disability claims). If you have expedited approval, your backpay *should be* negligible (as should your representation fee be if you chose to have counsel). Check out attorneys as carefully as you can! Most will offer free consults just like in BK!!

Medicaid programs can be available to those who are approved for disability but they are needs/income/resource based (requirements could be rules like you can only have 1 car, $XXX in cash in the bank, etc., etc.).

Once you are approved for SSA disability, you will absolutely receive Medicare benefits ~29 months from the date you filed. So, if Medicaid is not available to you for now, call the ACA (Obamacare) office for your state, they may be able to help you find something to cover you for the next 2-ish years until Medicare kicks in after your approval.

Angel, I am by no means a disability expert, but if I can answer any more basic questions for you, do internet research for you, tell you about my experiences with the SSA or attempt to help you in any other way, please don't hesitate to PM me or ask me in here in the thread.

{{{Hugs}}} You are in my thoughts and prayers.

~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
                            Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Thank you for the info ValleYum. I appreciate it so much. The surgeon called this afternoon and I have an appointment with him tomorrow at 2:30. So am probably looking at a mystectomy (not sure how to spell that) next. After that onto the Oncologist for the chemo.

I will sign up at the SSDI website you gave me and post over there. Thanks everyone for the information and moral support you gave me here. I will still stop in here and leave updates.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X