Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

send tax returns to attorney vs. directly to trustee

Hi all,

For three years we were told to send our tax returns directly to the trustee's office. This year I received a letter saying to send the tax returns to our attorney. Just curious if this change is common, or if anyone else received a similar notice. Seems to be more work for the attorneys now, just wondering if there was a specific reason or anything.

Thanks!

Was the letter from the trustee or your attorney?
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
      Was the letter from the trustee or your attorney?
      The letter was from the trustee, our annual reminder to not forget to file our tax returns and not to deposit any refunds.

Comment

If it was form your attorney, I was thinking that maybe he decided he preferred to review tax returns before they go to the trustee so he could see if there were going to be any issues. It seems to me that any document going to a trustee should first be reviewed by the debtor's attorney. Maybe this is the trustee making sure attorneys provide adequate representation to their clients during the plan.
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

My attorney has always asked that we send the returns through them. That way they have the ability to trace the submission of the return in case the trustee later disavows having received the return. In my district, providing the trustee with a copy of the return in a Chapter 13 is required, so it seems like a good practice to me. It also allows the attorney to review the return in case there might be issues.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X