Bummed, but still moving forward....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bummed, but still moving forward....

I expected this to happen, but had to try anyway.

I applied for an apartment yesterday and was denied based on credit, everything else checked out. Credit score they pulled was 664. However, the leasing consultant said she'd talk to the property manager about a manual override. I offered to hand over pay stubs, proof of my Ch. 13 payments, proof of on-time mortgage payments, anything they need.

I'm still plugging away and am even reaching out to private landlords. Fingers crossed I find something. The situation at home is not getting better and he is definitely not going anywhere.

If I get a co-signer, will they be affected by my bankruptcy, whether I continue the Ch. 13 by myself or convert to 7? Thanks. I really want to do this on my own, though.

When we started looking for a place to live, we were upfront with the renting agent about our B13 and asked if my dad could co-sign for us. We were told that was not allowed as it had to be someone living in the place. Not sure if that holds true everywhere. We ended up renting with a private individual who only asked to see copies of our pay stubs and never asked any questions about our financial history.

Comment

Originally posted by brtb View Post
      If I get a co-signer, will they be affected by my bankruptcy, whether I continue the Ch. 13 by myself or convert to 7? Thanks. I really want to do this on my own, though.
      Denied with a 664? There must have been something really bad on there, like an eviction or something that automatically precludes leasing. I leased with a national leasing company, just days after discharge in my Chapter 7 and a 625 score. Your co-signer should not be affected by your bankruptcy unless you decide to "reject" the lease, discharge the lease, and abandon the place leaving your co-signer on the hook.

I don't think you should need a co-signer if your score is above 620-640 and you have sufficient income.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
        Denied with a 664? There must have been something really bad on there, like an eviction or something that automatically precludes leasing. I leased with a national leasing company, just days after discharge in my Chapter 7 and a 625 score. Your co-signer should not be affected by your bankruptcy unless you decide to "reject" the lease, discharge the lease, and abandon the place leaving your co-signer on the hook.

I don't think you should need a co-signer if your score is above 620-640 and you have sufficient income.
        Never been evicted. Mortgages are current. It's just the Ch. 13.

They called me yesterday and said my Ch 13 had to be discharged before I could rent from them. I think I'm going to going the private route. My realtor is aggressively looking for a place for me. I'm not going to continue to waste $50 per application on leasing companies. He said it could be difficult, but he'll get me into something.

Thanks!

Comment

I specifically applied for my apartment after the discharge because my national rental company had the same rule; a bankruptcy must be discharged. In fact, my rental company required a year of seasoning for a bankruptcy in order to rent. They waived that requirement for me.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X