Water Bill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Bill?

Not sure where to post this or even if anyone has solutions; I'm trying all avenues!

Modified C13 to surrender house last year; discharged January 24, 2014.

January 6 water pipe froze and burst to surrendered property causing all sorts of damage.

State Farm is covering $40k of water mitigation and repairs; have not yet sent check to be endorsed by mortgage holder.

Today, got a bill from water company for $1455.31. Called them and they say they will not review/reduce since leak was not underground.

Today also received notice from attorney that mortgage attorney is working to accelerate foreclosure (just appers they are trying to get things like this cleaned up and nothing aimed at us personally).

Assume we continue with contractor as if we still own house (get check endorsed and move forward with repairs).

Anything we can do re the water bill? Figure at worst I'll set up payment plan and pay them a few bucks a month, not like we'll be back in that town and need water from them ever again.

Thanks for listening.

Have you tried calling the insurance company to see if they'll cover the bill?

I don't know about Ohio, but in CA the water company places a lien on the property when a water bill doesn't get paid. Maybe they won't persue you personally. But, if they do, making payments is probably your only option.

If you aren't living in the house, I wouldn't bother making repairs. Send the mortgage company the insurance check and let them deal with it.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Not tried insurance company. Wasn't sure if I wanted to open that can of worms since the house was mostly vacant. Prefer paying $1400 vs possible $17k for a water mediation bill!

Attorney said move forward with repairs, otherwise it could potentially stall the foreclosure and we definitely want that out of our names sooner rather than later.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X