top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm just about finished! But I have questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm just about finished! But I have questions.

I met with my attorney in May of 2009 and he didn't end up filing until July, and set up a voluntary payroll withdrawal the day of my 341 hearing through my attorney so I didn't have to worry about my payments. It's been fairly smooth sailing. I had a hiccup when the bank repossessed my car after I filed and had paperwork in hand shoving it in the face of the repo guy, but my attorney handled it and I had my car back in my possession the next morning. I've been coming here off and on over the course of the last few years and I have a few questions I hope you guys can help me with.

My NDC shows as follows:

Date Petition Filed 07/07/2009
    Date Plan Filed 07/07/2009
    First 341 Meeting Date 08/14/2009
    Date Case Confirmed 06/05/2010

I have just over $1300 left in my 60 month plan on my secured payments at 100% repayment. The rest of my creditors show 0%, I will be done with my secured in the middle of May. Now, based on some of the things I've read, I know that the 0% creditors may not receive anything and will likely be discharged.

I'm thinking that I will be completely done with my payments in mid-May and might be done earlier than July. Or will my trustee continue to take my automatic payments through to July? I'm due to be moving in a couple of months and having that extra money would be a massive help towards getting things settled and then I can start saving and planning the rest of my life.

I know I need to complete the second part of that course that I took 5 years ago. When should I contact my attorney in order to complete this? I was also wondering if anyone knows about how long it takes to get a discharge in the state of California? I do live in Southern California and I would expect that it might take a bit longer here than it would in Northern California.

I'm so excited to be nearing the end of this. It's been a long, LONG journey. But it's been a valuable lesson. I'm know I'm going to cry when I get my discharge paperwork.

And thank you all for being part of this forum. I would have gone half out of my mind if it weren't for this place.

Lixxie, congrats on almost being done. I am also in my final year. I'm not in CA, but usually the trustee will continue taking the payments and apply the balance to the unsecured until your plan is finished. I would check with your attorney once the final payment has been taken out of your pay.
    Discharged 5/2015

Comment

I live in Western Pennsylvania and our district is very busy, too. I had three secure creditors in my plan when I filed. It was a 5 year plan, not 100%. I paid off two of the secured loans through the plan. When I did, the trustee and my attorney got together and filed to have the funds from my automatic payroll deductions go toward all the other UNSECURED creditors. Originally the plan called for 40% repayment as a baseline. But after these secured loans were paid off, the extra money went resulted in a 56% payoff for the unsecured creditors. They got a bonus and, to me, there was no difference. My paycheck was about $3000 smaller each month for 60 months.

As for the course, my attorney helped set it up. He sent me a link to a website and I just followed the link, put in my payment information for the fee, and completed it. I got a printable file for the completion certificate that was forwarded to the trustee through my attorney. All told, it took about 2 extra months to get the wage garnishment to stop and another three months for discharge to be final.

That's how it worked for me. Since you're 100% the plan will be done when you get there. If you don't hear from your attorney, soon, you should call him. Mine actually called me a good 6 months before the final payment was due.

Good luck with your discharge and the rest of your debt-free life!

Comment

You can take the post filing course now. There's no reason to wait. I took mine right after filing to get it out of the way.

If you were an over median filer and your committment period was 60 months, then your plan should go the entire 60 months. Call your attorney as soon as you have made 60 months worth of payments and ask if there is something he needs to do to stop the wage order. If you were under median, your plan could end earlier.
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by plateump View Post
          All told, it took about 2 extra months to get the wage garnishment to stop and another three months for discharge to be final.
          Just curious about the 2 extra months of wage garnishment. When did you get that money back?
          4/29/2011 - Filed Chapter 13, have to pay a massive payment each month!
          6/16/2011 - 341 meeting
          7/21/2011 - Confirmed!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X