Vehicle title after discharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vehicle title after discharge

Plan completed 12/10/13 and discharged 2/18/14. Paid a car and an rv while in the plan. Car was paid in full and the rv was crammed down. Both were paid off about 18 months before the end of the 13 so I made a tentative inquiry about when the titles would be released and in my case they would not send them until the final discharge. As of this date I have not received title to either so decided to call and find out what's up. After talking to both lending institutions that handled the financing, neither had started the process of getting the liens released and titles sent out. This is just a heads up for those that might be in a similar situation that a phone call may be needed to get the ball rolling as I got the impression the lenders tend to a bit passive when it comes to 13s. Both were very cordial and more than willing to get the titles out but, apparently, only after I let them know that I had been discharged.
    Filed 11/10/08

Discharged 2/18/14

Good to know. Thanks.

The trustee should be making the last payment on my car in August. It will be interesting to see if Honda sends me the title right away or waits until after discharge in about a year from now. Not that it matters much. I don't plan on selling the car for a long time. But, it would be nice to have the option of reducing the insurance coverage.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
      Good to know. Thanks.

The trustee should be making the last payment on my car in August. It will be interesting to see if Honda sends me the title right away or waits until after discharge in about a year from now. Not that it matters much. I don't plan on selling the car for a long time. But, it would be nice to have the option of reducing the insurance coverage.
      We also had a Honda but the interesting thing was the financing was thru GM, much to my surprise as the name of the lender indicated no affiliation.
      Filed 11/10/08

Discharged 2/18/14

Comment

We had a car paid through our plan. It was paid off just a payment or 2 before our last. Discharge came and went and still no title. I called BofA to inquire and was told I still owed them $500! I freaked! I sent an email to my attorney and they said I didn't talk to the bk dept and they would take care if it. About 10 days later my title was in the mail.

Comment

Originally posted by mynameainttracy View Post
          We had a car paid through our plan. It was paid off just a payment or 2 before our last. Discharge came and went and still no title. I called BofA to inquire and was told I still owed them $500! I freaked! I sent an email to my attorney and they said I didn't talk to the bk dept and they would take care if it. About 10 days later my title was in the mail.
          Was told there was a balance on the rv so they had to verify that I was discharged. Didn't phase me as I knew that they had crammed down the amount. After checking they told me yep discharged on 2/18 and they would get the title off to me. Easy peasy! As I mentioned, they were all very cordial and cooperative. Too bad it couldn't have been that way 5 years ago.
          Filed 11/10/08

Discharged 2/18/14

Comment

I just stroked the final payment to the CU for our vehicle last week, and although it was paid outside the plan - they said our title should be released within 10 days of DMV receiving notice from them that its been paid in full.

We shall see how it goes... I was so excited to pay it off finally..and a month early

Comment

In my case I had to wait until discharge.

The impression that I get (because like in all thins BK there isn't one straight answer) is that if your interest rate is crammed down (mine went from 10% to 4.25%) the lender holds your title until discharge. If your case is dismissed, the additional interest is not discharged.

Then again, it also depends on the lender and probably the local rules.

Comment

Originally posted by kmjatl View Post
                In my case I had to wait until discharge.

The impression that I get (because like in all thins BK there isn't one straight answer) is that if your interest rate is crammed down (mine went from 10% to 4.25%) the lender holds your title until discharge. If your case is dismissed, the additional interest is not discharged.
                That makes sense.
                Last edited by LadyInTheRed; 04-25-2014, 08:43 AM.
                LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X