top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can i file chapter 13 if im below the median and do a lien stripp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can i file chapter 13 if im below the median and do a lien stripp?

how you guys doing? i need to file file chapter 13 to strip a second mortgage because i tried to do a settlement but they wont go any lower than 80% of a 140,000 balance. at the moment i still owe more than the house is worth but prices are rising very fast. can i still do a chapter 13 if my income is below the median in my county and state? i know i can qualify for chapter7 but that wont remove the lien. thanks in advance?

You can, I did. There are many factors and I suggest you seek a few attorney opinions.

If the balance of the 1st mortgage is higher than the value of the house a lien strip would be possible. Otherwise your 2nd will likely wait you out.
    11/23/'10-filed ch 13. 1/6/'11-341, confirmed. Below median. Plan completed 11/30/2015. DISSCHARGED 4/4/2016.JP

Comment

spidge, i have a feeling thats why they wont settle for less than 80%. so if i have no disposable income to pay to trustee then how does that work?
      btw, ill talk to a few lawyer this week and ask.

Comment

Originally posted by messedup View Post
        so if i have no disposable income to pay to trustee then how does that work?
        You must increase your income and/or reduce your expenses to show you have enough disposable income to afford a plan payment high enough to pay the trustee fees and any other amounts that must be paid through the plan. That makes an under-the-median Chap 13 an especially difficult Chap 13. But, spidge is evidence that it can be done. Don't think you can just reduce your expenses to some impossible amount and get your plan confirmed. A plan with expenses that are too low will be considered not feasible or not proposed in good faith.
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

i guess ill have to run the numbers with my attorney and see what the outcome is,then go from there,btw if my mother in law pays 500 a month for renting one of my rooms can i use that as income?

Comment

To add to LITR's comments, I was surprised how high the federal allowances were. We ended up better off under the 13 guidelines than attempting to pay all the debt payments.
            11/23/'10-filed ch 13. 1/6/'11-341, confirmed. Below median. Plan completed 11/30/2015. DISSCHARGED 4/4/2016.JP

Comment

i guess ill have to run the numbers with my attorney and see what the outcome is,then go from there,btw if my mother in law pays 500 a month for renting one of my rooms can i use that as income?
              You must include that as income.
              $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

ok i talk to a attorney last week and we did a rough estimate on the means test and came out 98 dollars disposable income. he says to find some other source of income even if i have to make it up some how. im ok with that but does that sound right coming from a attorney? i guess what he is saying is just lie about it so we can have a plan payment. any insight on this anybody?

Comment

btw, he wants me to get a home appraisal i think the home will appraise for 440,000 because thats what the comps are around my neighborhood for the same house with same bedrooms and square footage,we owe 460,000 so thats 20,000 underwater for the second mortgage.do u think the court will approve the lien strip or is that to close for it? im in Ca.

Comment

In order to strip the 2nd in a 13 your balance on the 1st must exceed the value of the house leaving no collateral for the 2nd to collect on.

Comment

ok i talk to a attorney last week and we did a rough estimate on the means test and came out 98 dollars disposable income. he says to find some other source of income even if i have to make it up some how. im ok with that but does that sound right coming from a attorney? i guess what he is saying is just lie about it so we can have a plan payment. any insight on this anybody?
                      I wouldn't lie. It may help you get a plan confirmed, but it won't help you get through a Chap 13. You need to figure out how to earn more income. Flip burgers, babysit, mow lawns - whatever you can do to earn what you need to fund a Chap 13 plan. If you can't do that, than you might as well file a Chap 7 and be done with it. Once the mortgage is discharged, you may have better luck getting a settlement. But, you also may have to face the fact that you can't afford to keep your home.

Comment

Where can you cut expenses. Even though some things are allowed I found wiggle room.

A ch13 does not leave much room for life challenges as they come at you. Things like car and home repairs are not accounted for so you need to have your support ready to last the entire life of the ch13. It took us until the third year of the plan to feel like we were managing it better. If you are below the median you will likely have the option of a 3, 4, or 5 year plan. For instance our 3 year plan payment was apx $750 and I could not see us doing that so we asked for the 5 year payment plan to make it more manageable.

Comment

What is the balance of your first mortgage?
                          ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
                          Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

valleyyum, 1st loan bofa-460,000
                            current market value around 440,000
                            2nd loan have not payed in 6 years ocwen-140,000
                            a collect agency called-nationwide credit inc. is handling the 2nd now

Comment

Thanks for the info! It makes it easier for others to give advice when they know the numbers/details. I wish you good luck!
                              ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
                              Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X