top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will doctors refuse to see me if I file bankruptcy on medical bills?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will doctors refuse to see me if I file bankruptcy on medical bills?

So, I am about to file Chapter 13 after a long year's wait. From what I understand, I legally have to include all debt owed in the plan. My attorney also advised me to do this. My wife has incurred about 2,000 in medical bills from various doctors. I was wondering if a doctor is allowed by law to refuse coverage to us if we file bankruptcy on accounts owed to them.

For emergency services, no medical doctor can refuse service. If this is for non-life threatening issues, like regular/routine dental work, the doctor can make you pay before the service is rendered. In other words, they will want to be paid before they do anything.

Also, nothing stops you from still paying your doctor! Many people in bankruptcy have included long-time "family" doctors and medical bills. Because of that special bond, the people feel obligated to pay and they do start to pay once the bankruptcy is discharged (in a Chapter 7). You will need to weigh the options.

If you have medical insurance, this should soften much of the "pay now" blow that you "might" receive from your medical provider. Each provider must determine on their own whether they'll continue to treat a patient, in a non-emergent situation, whom has not paid them in the past.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

If your wife intends to pay, she can go in to her doctors and explain that the two of you are filing and that by law all debts must be listed, but eventually they will be paid. Since you are planning a CH13, it may well be that the doctor bills will be included in your plan. That is something that you and your attorney will determine.
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X