Ch 13 nearing completion...Questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ch 13 nearing completion...Questions?

I have been on a 5 year payment plan under my Chapter 13 & I have 2 more months to go, which at that time, will be my final payment. I understand from reading other posts on here that after I make that final payment, I should receive a notice from the Trustee acknowledging that final payment. Will that letter also tell me what remains to be done (by me) in order to get the discharge?
    Also, I had a car involved in the 13; so after plan completion, will I automatically receive the title from the lien-holder, or do I (or my attorney) need to request that?
    I would appreciate any info regarding these questions or anything else I should be aware of that will be required of me in order to receive discharge.

Thanks,

K.

What notifications you receive and what information they contain will vary by court and trustee. If you tell us what specific court your case is in, somebody who completed a Chap 13 in that court might come along and tell you their experience. If not, a call to your attorney is the best way to find out what to expect.

In some courts, the discharge is initiated by the trustee in other courts it is initiated by the debtor/debtor's attorney.

Did you take the required financial management course? If not, you should take that now. There is no point in putting it off.

You should contact your attorney before you make your last payment and ask what needs to be done to get the discharge.
    Last edited by LadyInTheRed; 06-18-2014, 11:51 AM.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
      What notifications you receive and what information they contain will vary by court and trustee. If you tell us what specific court your case is in, somebody who completed a Chap 13 in that court might come along and tell you their experience. If not, a call to your attorney is the best way to find out what to expect.

In some courts, the discharge is initiated by the trustee in other courts it is initiated by the debtor/debtor's attorney.

Did you take the required financial management course? If not, you should take that now. There is no point in putting it off.

You should contact your attorney before you make your last payment and ask what needs to be done to get the discharge.
      Eastern District Of Texas, Beaumont Division; John Talton, Trustee

Yes on the Financial Mgm't course. They required me to take that at the very beginning.

Thanks,
      K

Comment

Did you take two courses? We had to take an inexpensive preliminary course that was part of the filing petition to file the 13. The course that satisfies the discharge requirement I believe is more involved and more expensive.
        11/23/'10-filed ch 13. 1/6/'11-341, confirmed. Below median. Plan completed 11/30/2015. DISSCHARGED 4/4/2016.JP

Comment

Yep - there are TWO financial courses you must complete; one that you take in the beginning of your Ch. 13 and one you must complete prior to getting your discharge. Make SURE you do that course, then verify your attorney and your trustee get a copy of the certificate (mail them to them, do not rely on email services from the places that offer the course to do so). If you dont do it in time - your entire Ch. 13 will be for nothing. It is mandatory - and also make sure its from a place your Trustee autorizes - you cannot just use "any old financial course" -it must be district specific per your trustee (at least here in VA it is)

Congrats on nearing completion

Comment

I completed Chapter 13 in Jan. Had to request title from the lien holder but they sent in a few days. Nice to be done.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X