Waiting, waiting, waiting.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waiting, waiting, waiting.........

Trustee received our final payment on April 15th for a May 28th scheduled payout (the last one). Funds were disbursed. But it has now been four months since that time. Trustee has yet to send a final accounting to the court. My attorney says it is because the trustee's workload is overburdened. Obviously, emotionally we want to put an exclamation point on this chapter of our lives sooner than later. But equally or more important, the final signature of the judge closes the case. Since the clock starts ticking for the waiting period for other things (like applying for a mortgage) with the closing of the bankruptcy, we are anxious to get this closed. Is my understanding correct that that clock does not start ticking until then? Or do they back date the order to last disbursement (or a reasonable time thereafter). Is there anything we can do to expedite this? Or are we just at the mercy of the trustee to get to us when she can get to us? Like others who have completed or nearly completed express, it has been a long five plus years. Our case involved some nuances like lien stripping (on our first residence) and mortgage cram down (on a second residence), so there was some true motivation for us to complete the plan. We did that. And now we want out!

Oh, I contacted our lawyer a couple weeks ago because I was trying to finance a car (used and reasonable) (because our vehicles were older when we started this thing over five years ago and one is literally falling apart). The lender told me that I could not get financing because my bankruptcy was showing as open. My attorney responded to my inquiry with the news about the overburden of the trustee and since our case was still technically open he said that we could file a motion with the court to allow us to purchase a vehicle. But that would be outside our plan and he would charge $260 /hour to do it. Screw that! I went out and bought a 10 year old vehicle and paid cash. My patience is running thin!

Have you submitted your financial course and child support certifications? Has your attorney submitted the motion for discharge for you? I finished my last payment on 6/20 using a money order, my 60 month mark was 7/2 and my attorney submitted the motion on 7/3. On 8/1 the trustee did her initial accounting and then 8/21 did her final accounting and I was discharged on 9/22.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the financial course and cs certification have been filed. The trustee has filed nothing since a motion to stop the payroll deductions for the payments. Congratulations on your discharge. I am envious of your time-line.

Comment

rfassett ... Any update on your discharge ??? I am like wise anxiously waiting for this too be over .
        Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones
        Chapter 13 filed 10-21-09
        Discharged 4-13-15

Comment

rfassett, are you Eastern District PA?

Comment

At least the stay is still in place while you are waiting.
            11/23/'10-filed ch 13. 1/6/'11-341, confirmed. Below median. Plan completed 11/30/2015. DISSCHARGED 4/4/2016.JP

Comment

rfassett, what district are you in? I read that filings are down in Eastern PA.
              Discharged 5/2015

Comment

Originally posted by jange View Post
                rfassett, what district are you in? I read that filings are down in Eastern PA.
                Checking the court statistics page, Chapter 7s are on a downward trend in the ED PA, and 13s are bouncing around from year to year, but down in FY 14 from FY13. I filed in FY14, a year ago this week.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X