Renting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renting

I am almost done with my Chapter 13 and wonder how hard it is going to be to rent an apartment once it is discharged. Do you have problems once you are discharged with renting? I know while I am in an active chapter 13 that I would have problems but I really would like to move soon. Is there a difference in what landlords consider a risk before and after a bankruptcy is discharged?
    Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

I have read many posts on here where people recommend renting from a private person vs. a company. Companies tend to check credit where private people usually don't. Hope this helps.

Comment

I had no issues renting just days after a Chapter 7 discharge, and this was from a national rental management company. It really came down to my income and my credit score. Don't quote me, but I'm sure that my credit score was over 620; in fact, I think my FICO was at 633 after the discharge hit the credit bureaus.

I think my situation was not typical. Most companies want to see a year or more since discharge. I have high income (not the 1%, but good income), been with the same company for 15 years in the same career for 30+ years, and had excellent rental history (what little I did have). I would certainly try to work with a private person over a major rental company. Some real estate agents are able to work with their clients but apartment complexes could be difficult.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks justbroke. On creditkarma my score is 629. Not sure how accurate that is from the 3 credit companies. I'm not planning on moving right now but I would like to move to Texas within the next year and it would be easier if my credit wouldn't be a deterrent to renting. I don't want to spend a lot of money on application fees just to find out I would be denied.
        Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

We had zero problems but we did mostly look for private landlords (not really on purpose but we were looking for a townhouse or condo situation and most of them in our area are privately owned), they were more interested in us having jobs and for how long (most wanted a yr or more at same employer). Our landlord never pulled credit. Good Luck...

Comment

We had to find rentals both during our 13 and right after discharge. During was with a large management company. We were honest about our situation up front and they just required us to pay a 1/2 months rent as a deposit. After was with a private individual who did run credit checks. We were up front and honest about our credit report and they were completely understanding. So we never had any issues with renting and we also had 2 dogs that were with us.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X