X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting to the end ... Sort of..

Filed 6/29/11 chapter 13
    $1215 a month payment

What are the things I should be looking at before the end of case to make closure easy?
    We have a few medical bills in collections post filing that I am making payments on so that they don't exist at end.
    Have some arrears on mortgage being pd thru trustee.
    Behind two months on mortgage now but making partial payments that they will apply once it reaches full amount.
    Credit report... Is there anything I need to do there?
    It ain't been easy but we're getting to the homestretch!

There's no point in doing anything about your credit report until 30 to 60 days after you are discharged.

If you haven't taken your post-filing course, you might as well do it now. You will need to sign a statement about domestic support obligations that needs to be filed with the court, and maybe other documents required by your local court. Contact your attorney before you make your last payment and ask what the next steps are.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Hey! We could almost be discharge buddies! That is if we can last this next year...
      We also filed in 6/11, though our payments are 4K. Ugh. But we're almost there.
      I'm not planning on doing anything until we've been discharged. My husband's car is on it's last legs so a good used car is on the horizon, but nothing extravagant.

What I do find myself doing is imagining the vacation we're going to take when this is all done. I want to save for a few months, but our 20 year anniversary is 7/16, so I want it to be a big celebration.
      I also start thinking of the "extra" 4K and imagine what we could do with it, but then I come back to reality and it'll most likely just go to a retirement account.
      I'd like to go talk to a financial planner to help us work with getting us to a point where we are "allowed" to spend but the rest goes towards savings/investments. Dunno, but we are ALMOST there!

Comment

make sure you are up to date PRIOR to your case coming into being closed - like a month prior to because you will receive papework from the Court that you must sign stating the following prior to getting a discharge:

you have not incurred any new debt per your confirmation order
        you have made all payments in your plan
        you are not behind on any debts (inside or outside your plan)
        you have no child support obligations that are behind or no new child support obligations
        no liens against property
        no wage deductions that were court ordered (outside of BK)
        you've completed and filed with trustee and courts your certifcates for financial courses

I think thats everything that I can recall from what is on the court order the judge / trustee sent us in order to obtain discharge.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora View Post
          make sure you are up to date PRIOR to your case coming into being closed - like a month prior to because you will receive papework from the Court that you must sign stating the following prior to getting a discharge:
          I don't think all courts send out the paperwork. From reading the experiences of others, I think it is most often up to the debtor and his/her attorney to prepare the paperwork and file it with the court. From reading the local rules in my court, it doesn't appear the court sends it out. I should know for sure in the next month or so!

So, if you don't receive anything before you make your last payment, call your attorney.
          LadyInTheRed is in the black!
          Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
          $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

LITR. You are correct...it depends. We received from both our attorney and the court; our attorney informed us that we would receive from courts as well however we were to submit the paperwork that our attorney sent to us vs the courts copy. They were the same thing but it has to come from attorney vs directly from us

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X