Chapter 13 and College?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chapter 13 and College?

I'm in a Chapter 13 and on schedule to discharge sometime in 2017. I really want to go to college to get a degree and improve my financial situation. Considering how tight my plan is and leaving me very little money to do anything with, how would one go about paying for college? From my understanding under Chapter 13 I have to obtain permission from the trustee (and the judge) to incur any new debt. Is there some sort of exception for going to college?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am unaware of an exception for student debt. But, since you probably won't have to start paying on the loan until after your plan ends, I suspect getting approval for the loan will be pretty easy.

Have you considered starting off in a less expensive 2-year college? Have you explored what non-loan financial aid may be available to you?

I suggest only getting federal loans and not private ones. Federal loans offer income based repayment plans if needed, while private lenders are less likely to work with you if you get into trouble.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I would hate for u to just be getting out of bankruptcy just in time to start having to pay student loans, it is like a noose around your neck and follows you everywhere. I agree to go for something in a 2 yr college and try to find scholarships or grants, anything to help. DO NOT get private loans, you will be sorry in the long run as they are not flexible on payback. Do you work for a company that offers tuition reimbursement? What about a local or big company that would ask for a commitment to work for them while you are in school and they pay for school (some big grocery stores offer a work program for pharmacy assistant where if you commit to them for 5 years they will put you thru 2 yr pharmacy assistant program).

Do a lot of research and at least get into an industry where you can hit the ground running and be employable right out of school, so some serious research and you might be surprised at what you can find. Good Luck!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X