Things are good and bad.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things are good and bad.

ok - after our Chapter 7 discharged in MArch 2013 things have been moving along. We have no credit cards and are fine with that. I had to replace my 13 year old car because of electrical issues and did so.

We have been trying to find a way to save our house. We did not reaffirm the mortgage. We are in pre-foreclosure but the mortgage company is
    proceeding to foreclose which could be very soon.

When I got sick and had to close my practice, we had literally no income. Haven't paid the mortgage since Dec 2010. Fast forward, hubby is doing better since real estate has picked back up, I have two accounting jobs and we both have Social Security.

Can't do a reverse mortgage which we qualify for because of a tax lien, which I was working on but it takes a long time to settle.

I am of the understanding that in a Chapter 13 you must pay back ALL mortgage arrears - since we are behind 90,000 - I don't think we make enough money to do that in 5 years and pay the mortgage too.

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts to give me. I have looked at Federal & State programs, none of which we qualify for.

We have lived here 27 years, to rent here would cost the same as our mortgage. We have pets. And a wonderful garden and yes, I am emotional about it but we were fine until I got sick.

Please help with ANY suggestions. THank you.
    Last edited by PANSYFACE; 04-08-2015, 04:01 AM.

Have you tried asking the mortgage company for an in-house modification? If you can show you had a financial hardship that is now resolved, they may be willing to modify the loan to extend the term.

You might try getting the help of a HUD approved housing counselor. You can find one at http://www.consumerfinance.gov/find-...ing-counselor/. I believe they will help negotiate with your lender for an in-house modification. They also can make sure you don't qualify for a federal or state program. You don't say how long ago you looked into your eligibility. If it has been a while, there may have been some changes.

There is a lot of information on mortgage modification at http://www.loansafe.org/loan-modification. They have a forum that you may find helpful: http://www.loansafe.org/forum/. The website is a good source of information on mortgage modification, or at least it was over 6 years ago when I was trying to figure out how to deal with my mortgage. But it also offers services for which it has been criticized. I don't know the details, but do some research before considering using any of their services. I am recommending the site only for the information it provides, not for any services.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Thank you LadyInThe Red.

I looked into programs recently because up until now, we didn't make enough money. Now that I have two jobs, We can pay the mortgage without a problem.
      the problem is that it takes time to get the modification.

Thank you for responding.

Comment

LITR offers good suggestions and unfortunately any program you go through will take time and jumping through many hoops. You may have to get to a place where you try to look at the silver lining of moving if the foreclosure cannot be stopped/delayed. Coming from an outside, more objective point of view, this house is causing you stress and causing you to work 2 jobs. Maybe you would need to work 2 jobs regardless is irrelevant to the fact that all this stress of trying to save the house because you have an emotional attachment may do you more harm than good medically speaking.

Its hard but maybe step back and think about the good things that could come with downsizing/moving (at least renting if something happens you cannot be foreclosed upon again). Purging through 27 yrs of "stuff", freeing yourself from the burden of not making a mortgage payment since 2010 and being so far in arrears (that is a lot of stress right there) and truly starting over, what happens if you lose one of your jobs or get sick again, put the whole thing in perspective. Its a building, an object and wherever you and your loved ones are will be your true home (your memories are in your heart and mind). You may be preventing yourself from truly moving forward and starting over for the good. Hopefully you have saved some money from not paying the mortgage for these last few years and can prepare to move, it can be very exciting to say the least.

Just a thought....

Comment

I hear what you are saying but there was no money to be saved - I was ill and could not work and my husband was a realtor, so no money there.

We have clawed back somewhat, the state is almost paid back - all that remains is the old IRS debt which could be solved and our mortgage arrears. It would cost as much to rent as it would to pay our mortgage, which , now, we can afford.

I regained my health and am now working - 2 is nothing compared to working tax season.

It would cost the same to rent here as our mortgage.

I am beside myself - we have come so far. Fresh start - HA !!!

Comment

Thank you for your thoughts. I am a little crazy right now.

Comment

Your stress is palpable in your post. Your bankruptcy was the tool to the fresh start but it is up to your to open those doors provided by that bankruptcy to move on (whatever that means). If you cannot afford to stay in the house it may be your reality (and I am not just talking about working 2 jobs to pay the mortgage) especially if you have been working the 2 jobs but still unable to save anything (if you are still not paying anything for mortgage or rent there should be something saved by now?). As hard as it is to realize you may have to give up the ghost, not owning a house is not a sign that you are a failure. Your identity is not your house and it may be time to start thinking of ALL your alternatives which could include moving, it is a fact. Good Luck.

Comment

Thank you. I had just acquired the second job last month. When I got sick there was NO income for 2 years until I could collect Soc Security. I sold my jewelry, furniture and anything I could to eat and pay utilities.

If I had been working and not paying the mortgage, I would have had money saved.

I just acquired the part time job last year but 2 days a week does not provide much extra cash

Year round rentals that take pets are few and far between and cost more than my mortgage would.

I never thought that I would ever have this kind of life after working 7 days a week for years, getting sick , losing my practice, my sanity, and everything that I ever worked for.

Just shoot me now. I do not want to go back into the dark hole that I was in for more than 2 years when my world fell apart. I will fight the fight to the end.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and suggestions.

I will perservere somehow.

Comment

Drazils posts, while hard to hear and heartbreaking, are spot on. The reality of a Ch 13 working for you is going to be hard due to the fact that you will be required to pay both arrears as well as current mortgage payments in order to keep the house. Are you able to do that for the 3-5 year timeframe that is required? What happens if you get into a ch 13 and are 1-2 years in and can't do it? Then you've thrown away all that money for nothing when you could've saved it. No sense working yourself to death when you have no guarantee of the outcome

No one wants to lose their home, but when you step back and remove your heart from the equation it's then that the best and most realistic decisions are made. Home is where you hang your hat and heart....a house is 4 walls and a roof.

Keeping you in my thoughts

Comment

Thank you Pandora. My head understands what everyone is saying. I have already started to search for rentals.

Comment

I don't have anything to offer except I hope your health improves and you find a good solution. Best wishes! I am so sorry you are dealing with this, but be as strong as you can. There is a solution. Xo
                      Discharge date: October 2017 (will it ever get here?)

Comment

Ps: I have a chronic illness too and there is nothing scarier....

For relaxation I go to www.meditationoasis.com for free podcasts that are so good!! They saved me!
                        Discharge date: October 2017 (will it ever get here?)

Comment

Thank you dmc-2008. I appreciate everyone's imput. This forum is how I got through our Chapter 7.

Comment

I was able to modify my mortgage during my chapter 13. When you file you typically have to start making your payments again.

Our property taxes and insurance increased which increased our mortgage by about $500. I couldn't swing that and the chapter 13 payment so I took a chance, stopped paying and requested the modification.

It took about 6 months, but they offered me a trial payment period, where if I made three lower payments on time I'd qualify for a modification. After I made the 3 payments it took another 3 months to finalize my new mortgage, but I'm now saving over $700 every month.

It was a gamble though. I was two years into my 13 when I stopped paying my mortgage. They could have requested a lift of the stay for non-payment but luckily they worked with us.
                            Filed Chapter 13 with lien strip on 2-28-11 * 341 held on 3-30-11 * First confirmation hearing held 4-20-11, continued until 5-25-11, continued until 6-29-11, continued until 8-10-11. Plan finally confirmed on 8-10-11!!!

Comment

Good for you lolly78. Imagine what it will be like once your BK13 payments are done. Did your modification effect your BK payment?
                              11/23/'10-filed ch 13. 1/6/'11-341, confirmed. Below median. Plan completed 11/30/2015. DISSCHARGED 4/4/2016.JP

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X