top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens if I get a good job after filing, but prior to discharge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens if I get a good job after filing, but prior to discharge?

I'm currently unemployed and preparing to file for ch. 7. I can pass the means test now, but does anyone know what would happen if I get a high paying job after filing?

I have a perfect credit history now, and it would be horrible to file and then get denied.. left stuck with a bankruptcy on my record and no discharge.
    Last edited by sojumbly; 06-01-2016, 08:04 PM.

Your bankruptcy petition is a snap shot of your situation at the time you file. Your eligibility for Chap 7 is based on that snap shot. Unless you already have the job at the time you file, it is irrelevant.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Thanks Lady.

If one got a high paying job a month before filing, and still passed the means test, he may still have a problem because his or her current income would be taken into account, right? (I read somewhere that the means test isn't the only income-related factor.

Comment

Originally posted by sojumbly View Post
        Thanks Lady.

If one got a high paying job a month before filing, and still passed the means test, he may still have a problem because his or her current income would be taken into account, right? (I read somewhere that the means test isn't the only income-related factor.
        In that case, the debtor would pass the means test, but would be vulnerable to an objection to a Chap 7 discharge based on the totality of circumstances if Schedules I/J show enough disposable income to fund a Chap 13 plan. In this kind of situation, if the person's income we below median in the 6 months before filing, even with the one month of higher income, they should file quickly so that their Chap 13 commitment period would be 36 months instead of 60.
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X