Buy car, then file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy car, then file?

I read a similar topic on here, but the situation in that case was quite different so I'd like to ask separately. The advice in that thread was to wait, and advice I see when Googling is to make the purchase pre-filing and reaffirm.

I'm planning file Ch 7 in roughly the next month. I also need to buy a car. As my previous car was repo'd last November, I am car-less. I was unemployed for a while until just a couple weeks ago, and will be making my down payment with the new income. My work is pretty far so I need a vehicle. I was thinking of a used car around $10k.

Will I have any issues with this? My income falls within the means test, both when I was unemployed and even now that I am employed, so I don't think the trustee would view it as a ploy to fit into the test. Otherwise, is making a car purchase a couple weeks before filing a red flag? I also don't want to file and then wait 3mos to get a car, as I mentioned it is needed for work.
    Last edited by halojump; 06-07-2016, 06:36 AM. Reason: Dunno why I said 6mos

I don't know the situation in the other thread, but in most threads that come up on this topic, people say go ahead and purchase the car.

People buy cars right before filing all the time. I have yet to hear of it being a problem.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I bought a car before filing and no one batted an eye. As long as you don't buy a Lexus or a BMW, I don't think anyone will be bothered. It happens all the time.

BK is supposed to be a reset, not a tool to ensure future hardship. They WANT you to be on solid ground after BK, so you don't end up in BK court again. Having a car is needed for most people to go to work and be productive.
      Chapter 7, above median, no asset. Discharged with no UST involvement.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X