top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Navient student loans went into Forbearance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Navient student loans went into Forbearance?

I filed a Chapter 7 recently and all seems to be going well and my Trustee is meeting is in a couple weeks. That said, I logged into my Navient account to pay my student loans and it shows that there is "No Payment Due" and "Forbearance". I was and am current on my all my student loan payments and never asked for anything to be put in forbearance. Since student loans aren't dischargeable, I was going to keep paying and had already budgeted to do so. Why did they do this?

Am I supposed to keep paying what I paid before? What's the deal?
    Last edited by bootless; 02-28-2017, 08:38 AM.

Navient did this because the automatic stay went into place the moment you filed bk. Anything else could be deemed an attempt to collect. The "forbearance" will be removed once your Discharge is entered. You should continue to pay however, on-line access has most likely been cut off. You can contact Navient to see if access can be restored before your Discharge is entered however, you may need to pay it the old fashioned way, by mailing a check.

Des.

Comment

It would help me get caught up if I could skip a month or two of payments, so what would happen if I stuck with the forbearance? Do they bill you for the full 90 days of payments all at once after discharge, or is it just added to the balance and continue like it did before?

Comment

My loans did the same thing. Your payments will not stack up, they will just start again once the stay is lifted. You may have the option of paying off the accumulated interest before it becomes part of the loan balance.

In my case, the servicer is Great Lakes. I still have online access and during the forbearance, I can make interest-only payments to keep the balance from going up.

Comment

Originally posted by Vandervecken View Post
          My loans did the same thing. Your payments will not stack up, they will just start again once the stay is lifted. You may have the option of paying off the accumulated interest before it becomes part of the loan balance.

In my case, the servicer is Great Lakes. I still have online access and during the forbearance, I can make interest-only payments to keep the balance from going up.
          Thanks for the info! I'm going to give Navient and American Education Services a call on Friday and make sure everything is square. I need to build my emergency fund, but still want to pay something.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X