top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Use of credit card not included before discharge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use of credit card not included before discharge?

My chapter 7 should be discharged any day now. I noticed my Target card was not cancelled (I had a $0 balance). Also my scores have shot up (my main issue was utilization - once that changed my scores went above 700 - hope that stays!).

My question is I have a baby shower to go to before I get paid and I noticed they are registered at Target. I was going to go just use the card and pay off right away (not talking anything crazy) but wanted to make sure that isn't an issue that would stop my discharge or anything. It is a small limit and great history. Again not going to carry over balance just figured I could use and pay in 2 weeks or so.

My 341 was in the middle of January so I assume discharge is any day now. The trustee already sent in the report of no asset. Just wanted to ask to make sure I do not jeopardize anything.

Thanks!

The only thing that you may jeopardize, is the Target card. Whether it truly passed through untouched will not be known until you try to use it. My Jareds account appeared to pass through untouched until I tried to use it. It was not until then, when I was trying to use it, that they marked it as closed by credit grantor. It wasn't negative, but they zeroed the credit limit as well.

On a more personal note, if you can't afford to purchase the shower items now, without credit, then you may want to rethink purchasing it. I just want you to think about using this open account before actually using it. I'm not going to think any differently of you if you do use the card. It could be a good test just to see if the card still works. I'm not advocating either.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks! I was thinking the same as it would let me know if the card is still active.

I am not worried about charging up again. This is something I can afford, if I can't use or don't have the credit I can just buy something. It will just be a little tight but it is only a short period of time. I will actually get a discount using the card and there is another offer as well so would be better to use the card and pay in a few days. Just wanted to make clear it isn't really a matter of living above my means just a few days grace is all I was looking for. Had some expenses not paid in last paycheck but will be made whole this check, shower is just a few days before pay day.

Comment

If it helps, Target also offers a debit card. You basically use the Target debit card, and your checking account is debited via ACH. You still get the 5% discount on purchases.

You may want to consider leaving the Target credit card alone so as not to jeopardize the chance of it being closed and negatively affecting your rebuilding efforts.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X