changing attorneys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

changing attorneys?

We met with an attorney about 6 months ago who said we needed to do a Ch 13; we paid a small retainer and signed a contract stating he'd represent us in a Chapter 13 case then he sent us home with all the forms to fill out. Since then things changed and now we're pursuing a Ch 7 but with another attorney. We never submitted the 13 paperwork and, beyond one brief email chain a day or two after our initial meeting, we've had no contact from either side with the previous attorney. I looked at the papers we signed with him, but, other than stating we'd lose any money already paid if we opted not to file 13, there's nothing in it about ending our association. Since we've chosen to go with a different attorney and a different form of bankruptcy, should we send a letter or email or something to officially end things with the first attorney or would we likely be okay to leave it alone since it's been so long without any contact or activity on either side plus this being a 7 when what we signed with the other guy was a 13? I forgot to ask the new attorney and his office is now closed for the weekend.

It would be polite to inform the other attorney that you chose a different path. Although the prior attorney probably didn't "earn" any more fees during the short representation I would still make sure you don't owe them anything else.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X