Secured card in Ch7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Secured card in Ch7?

I've had a secured credit card for a few years; what happens to those in CH7? If/when they cancel it will they send back the money securing it?

It really depends on the creditor. The creditor is allowed to keep it as deposits can be used to setoff a debt prior to filing. I had one with Wells Fargo and they cancelled the card and returned the deposit. I was not expecting the return of the deposit. You should not expect the return of the deposit.
    Last edited by justbroke; 04-22-2017, 01:05 PM.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

The card may also be closed. You could always call the bank's bankruptcy department and ask them what happens. If you can't get a straight answer, or if the creditor says they will close the card, I would consider closing the card before filling, to ensure you don't have a secured card reported as "included in bankruptcy." If you have a balance, you may be able to have them apply the security deposit to the remaining balance. As long as it isn't a large balance, that is.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X