Credit cards in current business's name after Chapter 7 discharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit cards in current business's name after Chapter 7 discharge

Hello everyone! I have just received good news that my Chapter 7 had been approved by the court of discharge.

My questions now are the following
    1. How do I find out which debts were discharged? From my Form 101? On my Form 101 which listed all of my debt, but that can't be all the debt had been dischagred, can it? Because a bunch of my Federal student loans were in that list and I thought student loans aren't dischargeable?
    2. What happens to those credit cards that are in my current business's name? During the personal Chapter 7 process, the "automatic stay" prevented those creditors from contacting me, but now my Chapter 7 is completed, do those business credit card creditors go after my business since I'm personally freed of being a personal guarantor?
    3. Also, I checked my Credit Karma account today and reviewed my TransUnion and Equifax credit reports and saw a bunch of my private student loan accounts as "closed".....I thought student loans are dischargeable?
    Need some insight and clarification here!

Thanks in a advance!

Welcome to the Forum. In response to your three questions. . .

Originally posted by BKRPTin2019 View Post
    1.How do I find out which debts were discharged?. . . Because a bunch of my Federal student loans were in that list and I thought student loans aren't dischargeable?
    Your Discharge does not list the debts it covers as it is a generic document. If a debt was not dischargeable without a specific court order (student loans for example) it is just not discharged. This covers certain taxes, student loans, domestic support orders, debts arising out of a divorce etc. Hopefully you had an attny that can assist you in determining what was and what was not discharged.

2. What happens to those credit cards that are in my current business's name?. . .
    The creditor can go after the entity for payment. Your discharge does not protect a third party from collections.

3. I checked my Credit Karma account today and reviewed my TransUnion and Equifax credit reports and saw a bunch of my private student loan accounts as "closed".....I thought student loans are dischargeable?
    Student loans were not discharged unless you got a separate Court Order. Your credit report will probably update now that the discharge has been entered and the automatic stay does not apply to you. Regardless, since a credit report has no bearing on what was or was not discharged, what it says is not really relevant to the issue.

Hope this helps

Des.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X