Trying to decide if I should file again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to decide if I should file again

Hello, I haven't posted in awhile, but I'm trying to decide if I should file again. This time it would be a Chapter 7 since it's shorter. A couple of years ago, I lost my job, and had difficulty finding another. In fact I now have 2 part time jobs, though I wish I had one full time position. To make a long story short, I ran up my 2 credit cards while unemployed and fell behind on my mortgage. Then I was in a car accident, not my fault, but my car was totalled and the insurance company would not pay the full value. I have credit card debt of $5,718, old car loan of about $2,500 and past due mortgage of $1,714. The phone calls have been starting and the cc debts have been handed of to the junk debt buyers. I'm afraid the lawsuits with possible wage garnishment outcome are about to start.

I will mention that I now have the 2 jobs, and started my social security, I'm able to afford my current debts. I have an old 20 year old car, which is in need of repair or I have to get another one. My house also needs some repairs. I believe I could cover these things, but not with the old debt. Should I file again?

I can tell you from experience, filing the second time is an easier decision. The question is, as you post, should you file again.

I really have no opinion on it with the little that it appears you have in debt. It may be better to try to make some deals with the creditors. It's a tough decision but I'll support you and your decision either way.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thank you, justbroke. Yes, I guess compared to some and when I did the Ch. 13 it's very little. I think I'll try and pay the past due mortgage portion first, then I'll try and deal with the creditors.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X