Experian reports late payments as soon as account was closed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experian reports late payments as soon as account was closed

I filed for chapter 7 on Oct 14th. None of my cards had missed payments prior to filing. Within a few days/weeks of filing, most creditors had already closed my accounts and indicated that they were included in a chapter 7 bankruptcy. Experian marked every account as being late the moment they were closed, even though none of my payments were near being past due when the accounts were closed. In other words, had I not filed but paid and closed the accounts on the same day Experian got notice they were closed, they would not have been late. Equifax and Transunion do not show any late payments. Anyone know what's up?

There are some differences between how the different credit reporting bureaus/agencies (CRAs) mark accounts in bankruptcy. I think this is just how Experian does thing. I can tell you this. My Experian Score 8 is 20 points less than my other scores, but my mortgage Score (Score 4) with Experian is the best of all three bureaus (at 660). This is 2+ months after discharge.

Chalk it up to how the bureaus handle these things. I would wait until after your discharge has hit the 3 bureaus and then file disputes that you were never late. I'm in the middle of cleaning up mine right now.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X