Discharged But Not Without a Few Bumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discharged But Not Without a Few Bumps

My chapter 7 was discharged yesterday! It has been a long and stressful journey. I wanted to share with this forum because I was that Chapter 7 over the median filer.

Prior to filing, I had one attorney tell me I made too much for a 7, not enough for a 13. Another attorney told me it was a definite 13. Then I found my current attorney who really listened, took the time to look at my expenses and fought for me in my chapter 7. Two hours before my 60-day deadline (Nov 13th) the US Trustee filed a motion to dismiss. Based on their analysis, they determined I was able to fund a chapter 13. After reviewing their assessment my attorney found some big expenses they missed. There was a hearing (I did not have to attend), then an extension where I provided additional supporting documentation, and finally the UST filed a motion to remove their objection and my discharge occurred 2 days later.

For reference, I make a very good income, but I'm a single parent (guarding of my niece), I have a higher than normal mortgage for my area, my car payment is slightly above average, but the biggest factor was that I have expensive monthly medical expenses for myself and my niece.

I hate to think where I would be today if I had listened to the first attorney I met with. Don't give up hope and keep asking questions until you feel you've been provided with good, accurate information. If something doesn't' sound right, get a second, third, fourth opinion.

Thanks to this forum for all of the information and support! Best of luck to everyone.

Congratulations! So happy to read this today. You had the right attorney at the right time; and it made a difference.

I hope that you stick around and help others through their journey.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by BrokeinCA View Post
      My chapter 7 was discharged yesterday! It has been a long and stressful journey. I wanted to share with this forum because I was that Chapter 7 over the median filer.

Prior to filing, I had one attorney tell me I made too much for a 7, not enough for a 13. Another attorney told me it was a definite 13. Then I found my current attorney who really listened, took the time to look at my expenses and fought for me in my chapter 7. Two hours before my 60-day deadline (Nov 13th) the US Trustee filed a motion to dismiss. Based on their analysis, they determined I was able to fund a chapter 13. After reviewing their assessment my attorney found some big expenses they missed. There was a hearing (I did not have to attend), then an extension where I provided additional supporting documentation, and finally the UST filed a motion to remove their objection and my discharge occurred 2 days later.

For reference, I make a very good income, but I'm a single parent (guarding of my niece), I have a higher than normal mortgage for my area, my car payment is slightly above average, but the biggest factor was that I have expensive monthly medical expenses for myself and my niece.

I hate to think where I would be today if I had listened to the first attorney I met with. Don't give up hope and keep asking questions until you feel you've been provided with good, accurate information. If something doesn't' sound right, get a second, third, fourth opinion.

Thanks to this forum for all of the information and support! Best of luck to everyone.
      Thank you so much for writing this! Your situation and mine are very, very similar, even down to the differing opinions and willingness to try of the attorneys. Congratulations to you! I'm just getting started and really stressed out.

Comment

It was very stressful and did drag on longer than I would have liked. Try not to worry and stress about it too much. Finding an attorney you trust and that is willing to go to bat for you is key. Wishing you the best of luck!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X