Filed, but not discharged - how to handle taxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filed, but not discharged - how to handle taxes

I got an attorney in 2019 to file Chapter 7 in June/July of 2019. All my creditors were notified by both myself and my attorney. He couldn't file the paperwork until I paid him in full, which I did in October of 2019. Court date was set for January 24, 2020, and now I am just waiting for the "final" discharge, which my attorney says will probably happen in March 2020.

In late Jan 2020, I received a 1099-C from one of my creditors who knew very well I was filing Chapter 7, as I told them myself several times, and so did my attorney.

How do I handle this on my taxes? Can I do the form 982 even though the debt is not discharged? Have looked all over the net and can't find anything specific to that - it all just says "discharged debt" -

Thanks for any and all info

Either your or your tax preparer should read the instructions for Form 982 and handle it that way. On Form 982, I believe the tax "attribute" is labeled as "Title 11." Title 11 is the bankruptcy code (11 USC).

Just wait until your discharge date in March. File at that time.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X