Chap 7 - MS - New job/raise after 341

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chap 7 - MS - New job/raise after 341

I will soon have my MOC date and was wondering if me getting a new job that makes substantially more money or asking for a raise at my current job after the MOC date will affect anything? I currently make under the median income but I plan on looking for jobs that will double my income. I don't plan on applying for jobs or requesting for a raise until after the meeting.

First, Welcome to BKForum!

After the 341 Meeting? You wouldn't need to do worry about anything. In very few cases would the Trustee care if you started a new job prior to filing. They would care even less if you started a new job after filing and before the 341 Meeting.

I don't know of any Trustee (or United States Trustee) that would care if you were offered a job before/during/after filing or started a job after the 341 Meeting of Creditors. A job offer is not a job. A start date is also not a job. That is most important fact. Even in cases where the debtor started a new job right after filing, most Trustees (or UST) will just say "congratulations" and then just move on.

In very rare cases where you may have just left a high paying job and were only jobless for a very short period of time would the UST care about that fact.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I left a high paying job and took a 40% pay cut and have been working here for about 6 months, I didn't leave on purpose my entire team was let go. I have experience and I just finished my degree so I can easily find a new job making the same if not more then I was making but I want to make sure it won't impact my chapter 7 before doing anything.

Comment

I don't think there's an issue here. Unless and until you accept an offer for a job and actually start that job, then it's not a job for purposes of income calculations. The United States Trustee (UST) would only be looking for "strategic" job loss where a debtor strategically left a high-paying job for the sole purpose of filing a Chapter 7. This is extremely rare and I would not worry about a job offer, especially one after the 341 Meeting.

In fact, if you're at the 341 Meeting and you have a job offer, then your status hasn't changed. if the Trustee asks if anything financial has changed since filing (which it has not), you say "no" and move on. In some cases that I have read, some people have answered with "I should be starting a new job in XX days" and the Trustee still just says "congratulations" and moves on. In very rare circumstances have I ever read about the UST looking at conversion or dismissal except where the job started before filing and was significant.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I have proof that I didn’t quit on my own accord but I’m not complaining because I was already contemplating chapter 7 but I made to much money so it all worked out losing the job.

another question, I will most likely have to move for a new job should that cause any issues moving to another state after the 341?

Comment

I'm trying to say this but not directly... so here it goes. You are overthinking this. It is very rare to run into the change-in-income issue.

As for moving after filing, so long as you attend the 341 Meeting it should not be an issue.

Comment

appreciate it, I feel much better with seeing how certain you are. Thanks

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X