Could use some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could use some help

Hoping someone may be able to chime in here and help me. Everything went great at the 341 meeting and the Trustee already requested he be discharged from the case and gave my discharge date as 7/13/2020.

What in the world am I supposed to be doing right now? Anything? I do have a lawyer, who was great. However, he never told me things like, don't do this or that and make sure you do things like this or that. Normally I would email him, however, his office has been impacted by covid.

When can I start rebuilding credit? After the discharge, right?
    Also, an issue that kind of worried me, is the trustee still looking at my bank accounts? Will they go back and review? The only concern I have is my boyfriend started receiving his unemployment and they paid him a large lump sum that was deposited into our bank account. The money was then used to pay off his own credit card debts. Initially when I met with my attorney, it was documented and proven what money in the account was his and where it was coming from and proven that his credit cards were being paid from his own funds, not my own. I'm just worried because of the lump sum payment and can't contact anyone to ask at his office as there are only 2 of them in the entire office. Perhaps I am being worried about nothing at all? I do worry a lot. His money is direct deposited and shows in the account as coming from unemployment and the credit cards of his that were paid were all done electronically and can be tracked with a paper trail if that helps at all?

I just don't want to screw myself over...I seem to be great at doing that in life as is and I don't want any surprises. I also saw someone say they represented themselves and creditor attorneys started contacting them right before the discharge date, so that has my anxiety up a little as well.

Sorry- I think I over read things sometimes and then go into panic mode!

Originally posted by xoxoamandajo View Post
    Hoping someone may be able to chime in here and help me. Everything went great at the 341 meeting and the Trustee already requested he be discharged from the case and gave my discharge date as 7/13/2020.
    Congratulations on the easy 341... and welcome to Club Sixty!

What in the world am I supposed to be doing right now? Anything? I do have a lawyer, who was great. However, he never told me things like, don't do this or that and make sure you do things like this or that. Normally I would email him, however, his office has been impacted by covid.
    Live your life normally, but don't sell any property. I would also not attempt to obtain any new credit as you're likely be instantly denied (because you have an active open bankruptcy).

When can I start rebuilding credit? After the discharge, right?
    Personally, I would wait until after the case is closed and at least 30 days has passed. Others have, within a couple of weeks of discharge, obtained some small credit cards here and there. My recommendation is to wait a little longer. Besides, after discharge you'll want to go through your credit reports and clean up anything lingering.

Also, an issue that kind of worried me, is the trustee still looking at my bank accounts? Will they go back and review? The only concern I have is my boyfriend started receiving his unemployment and they paid him a large lump sum that was deposited into our bank account. The money was then used to pay off his own credit card debts. Initially when I met with my attorney, it was documented and proven what money in the account was his and where it was coming from and proven that his credit cards were being paid from his own funds, not my own. I'm just worried because of the lump sum payment and can't contact anyone to ask at his office as there are only 2 of them in the entire office. Perhaps I am being worried about nothing at all? I do worry a lot. His money is direct deposited and shows in the account as coming from unemployment and the credit cards of his that were paid were all done electronically and can be tracked with a paper trail if that helps at all?
    If the (panel) Trustee has already been excused, then there was no issue. I'm assuming that you were under-the-median income and the United States Trustee (UST) never showed up at your 341 and/or asked any additional questions. I would say that you are good to go.

Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
      Congratulations on the easy 341... and welcome to Club Sixty!

Live your life normally, but don't sell any property. I would also not attempt to obtain any new credit as you're likely be instantly denied (because you have an active open bankruptcy).

Personally, I would wait until after the case is closed and at least 30 days has passed. Others have, within a couple of weeks of discharge, obtained some small credit cards here and there. My recommendation is to wait a little longer. Besides, after discharge you'll want to go through your credit reports and clean up anything lingering.

If the (panel) Trustee has already been excused, then there was no issue. I'm assuming that you were under-the-median income and the United States Trustee (UST) never showed up at your 341 and/or asked any additional questions. I would say that you are good to go.
      Thank you, I was a nervous wreck. I found out I could have likely filed a few months before I did, but I was just too chicken and trying to avoid it. I can't believe the HUGE weight lifted once I did it!

No property for me to sell, so I am all good that way. I don't plan on getting credit for awhile, at least that's my plan. But my boyfriend was going to add me as an authorized user for a little while in an attempt to help rebuild, and I also don't plan on having a card, just piggybacking so to speak so something positive will be around.

I am assuming he has been discharged, but I know assuming always gets me in trouble. When I check pacer, he put the note in on 5/13/2020 that he requested to be discharged and that was the same day as my 341, and no creditors showed, no UST showed and I was way under the median income because my job of course doesn't pay great but the benefits are amazing.

Thank you, I feel like I can somewhat breathe now!

Comment

Adding you as an authorized user is a good step. Do this after discharge. It will help you tremendously. I used the same way to re-establish credit by being added as an AU to several accounts. Just make sure those accounts report < 30% utilization and are not otherwise negative (missed payments, etc).

The Trustee seeking to "discharge" themselves just means that they want to be removed as the Trustee in the case. It is not related to the discharge that you will receive sometime after 60 days have elapsed from the 341 meeting. A Trustee that seeks to be relieved from their duties that soon means your case is a no-asset case and there is no (more) work for the (panel) trustee.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X