Tax Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Question

Hey everyone, hoping a quick question can be answered as my attorney is unavailable.

I got my discharge a few months ago but couldn't find a good place to put this for AFTER discharge. I realized my attorney and I never discussed the tax issue and now I am really concerned. I filed earlier this year in March and discharged in July. What happens to my tax return at the end of this year when I go to file?

Unless the Chapter 7 Trustee asked for it, it's not an issue. Your attorney likely exempted the future potential tax refund. In any event, the Chapter 7 Trustee would only be entitled to collecting 2 month's worth of any refund. It may not have been to the benefit of the bankruptcy for that to happen.

I suppose that your case is actually "closed" at this point which usually means that the Trustee is done. Especially if it was a no asset case.

You really need to ask your attorney if you exempted the future "potential" tax refund.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thank you for responding. I am going to look through my bk packet tonight when I get home and see if I can find what all the exemptions were. I know we discussed taxes for a brief second but I believed that was about the taxes remaining I had in my account at the time I had filed and not future tax returns. My case is closed and the trustee had declared it a no asset case but I wanted to be certain since I just happened to be thinking of it. I placed an email to the attorney, but it will be some time before he is able to respond as he contracted covid and is out for who knows how long.
      Thank you again!

Comment

No asset = they don't want your taxes. You should be good, but it's a good idea to follow up with your attorney if you are still questioning whether you need to surrender any potential tax refund.

Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X